banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use a mic AND an electric drum kit through one PA amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you use a mic AND an electric drum kit through one PA amp?

i’m in a death metal band, and we want clean singing on a song but you can’t hear me unless i’m singing super high or screaming. we’re going to buy a mic and wanted to know if we have to buy a seperate amp for the mic or if we can run the drums and mic through our Simmons D2112 at the same time. it has 3 mono inputs and i think it should work if one cable is drums and the other is the mic but idk. thanks if y’all know the answer

It looks like the inputs are instrument level, so a mic won't work correctly through those. There is a Line In on the back. That would only work if there is a gain or attenuation on the front for the Line In. Otherwise you'd have to put the mic through a microphone preamp first to control the level, then bring that in through the Line In. But it's not going to be that clear if you are expecting one speaker to handle both vocals and drums at the same time. You'd be better off with a separate P.A. for vocals.

Comment

Every finished song (besided instrumentals) FOH and monitor mix IS drums and vocals coming out of the same speaker. If you have budget or space concerns you really only need a preamp for the microphone so when the preamp is sent to one of thpse line inz, ot will mix much more audibly. Plus you’ll be able to EQ it and add fx of necessary.
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

If the PA is beefy enough to keep the vocals clean while carrying the drums, you're fine.
        It usually takes plenty of power and some good quality speakers to carry that off at band volume.
        Still, it's easier to keep your stage levels down if you're using electronic drums.

As mentioned above, you'll need a preamp for the microphone if the PA only has a line level input..
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

It's not exactly a full P.A. He's using a Simmons DA2112 drum monitor for this. It's a 350W floor wedge (or can be post mounted.). There are three 1/4" TRS line ins each with a level, but there is only one EQ for the whole thing. There are 4 EQ points on the 2112, however. They are doing death metal, but it's not clear how loud they are playing or what other gear (amps) they are using to get there.

Comment

Working...
          X