banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the preamp tube with the aluminum cover V1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the preamp tube with the aluminum cover V1?

Ok this may sound stupid, but after reading an article about biasing, I'm confused. Is the preamp tube with that aluminium tube cover, cooler or whatever likely to be v1?

thanks
    Last edited by Kommerzbassist; 01-05-2006, 01:49 PM.

7ender 7anboy.

Re: Is the preamp tube with the aluminum cover V1?

All the preamp tubes should have a cover on them. It doesn't matter if they don't, but if only 1 is covered.....there's a few missing.

The 1st stage preamp tube is the one furthest from the power tubes......all the way at the end of the amp. The second one is usually a second gain stage, and the 3rd is a Phase Inverter, which has less effect on sound.

I'm curious, does your TSL have 3 or 4 pre tubes?
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
      All the preamp tubes should have a cover on them. It doesn't matter if they don't, but if only 1 is covered.....there's a few missing.

The 1st stage preamp tube is the one furthest from the power tubes......all the way at the end of the amp. The second one is usually a second gain stage, and the 3rd is a Phase Inverter, which has less effect on sound.

I'm curious, does your TSL have 3 or 4 pre tubes?
      Uhm there's only 1 covered, the others just have some kind of rubber ring so they don't get smashed when transporting I suppose... the one with the cover has a little bit different slot so I think the covers arent missing, there are just none... and they aren't in line, they are all over the amp... (yes this sounds weird, but I'll post pics next week)
      And it has 4.

So do you think the one with the cover could be V1?

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Ah wait... I reopened the head and discovered they are not that much all over... actually it's 3 in a row and one that is parallel to the one in the mid... with the one with the cover being farest away from the power tubes...
        So I think I have a good chance of this being V1... I mean the amp sounds right, so it should be...

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

V1 is normally closet to the input jack and the furthest awy from the power tubes. If only one cover is used then that one is usually V1.

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
          Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
          Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
          Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by slightly_rude
            V1 is normally closet to the input jack and the furthest awy from the power tubes. If only one cover is used then that one is usually V1.
            thanks man, this is the one I replaced with anothe rtube and from the sound I hear, it must be the V1 actually

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

That sounds right. Sometimes it's hard to hear an audible difference between preamp tubes, especially if all the ones you're using are high quality.

A Sovtek LPS is a great choice for the 1st position. You may notice the differences between 1st position tubes more when the amp is in a place where you can crank it up, and really feel the amp as you're playing.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                A Sovtek LPS is a great choice for the 1st position. You may notice the differences between 1st position tubes more when the amp is in a place where you can crank it up, and really feel the amp as you're playing.
                Ah you mean the 3x5m room it is in at the moment? Yes... a very good place to crank it up... unforunately I get window and aquarium microphobics at volumes >5... I hope I'll be able to move into my new flat soon... there's always something going on in there and I still cant move in... I actually wanted to wait until it's finsihed, but I just got too tired of playing through my old amp...

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Working...
                X