Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp hum solutions

Hello,

My guitars are properly grounded etc, but there's always a bit of hum when neither hand is touching a metal part of the instrument. Is it possible to cancel this hum?

Originally posted by Flores_68 View Post
    Hello,

My guitars are properly grounded etc, but there's always a bit of hum when neither hand is touching a metal part of the instrument. Is it possible to cancel this hum?
    Sounds like a grounding problem. Trace the ground from your bridge - my money is that the problem will be found this way.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I doubt they all have a grounding issue if it is multiple guitars. I would move the amp into another room to see if it is electrical. Or if it is small enough, take it to a friend's house with newer wiring. I will also ask what does your signal chain look like? Is it very long? I would plug into the amp directly to see if the hum is still present, then start adding effects one at a time.

Comment

Are you suing pedals that are plugged into the wall too?
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          Are you suing pedals that are plugged into the wall too?
          Sorry, I didn't understand your question

Comment

Unplug it, problem solved. . . JK, it sounds like a ground issue for sure, is it an old amp?

Comment

Sorry, I didn't understand your question
              Sorry, spelling -Are you USING Guitar pedals which are plugged into the wall
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Does it hum with no guitar plugged in
                just cranked and idling on its own?

if it does it could be the florescent light is bad

Move it further away or turn off the light

Is you lr amp in a room with a large industrial transformer
                That would hum a lot
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

How is the grounding in your house?
                  Have you tried different outlets or a different room on a different circuit?

Comment

I like to plug in a Monster 1100 Power Bar surge protecting power strip straight from the wall, and use a Monster 2500 Power Conditioner and ETA PD8 Power Conditioner.. it improved my sound issues fast, no more hum or hiss .

Buy an outlet tester, start from the plug, using that device and work you way from the guitar/ bass, instrument cable, effects pedals, cable running to the amp, the amp cable to the cabinet, if your using amp cabinets .

Get a Power Conditioner, Hum Eliminators, a Buffer, power strips with surge protection and a power supply for your foot pedals with shielded power outlets .

Ebtech Hum Eliminators have gone sky high in recent years, Behringers Hum Eliminating devices have gone up too.
                    Pyle make a good Hum Eliminator at a reasonable price .
                    Last edited by maug2122; 09-10-2023, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Hello,

I had an amp like this. It turned out it needed new filter caps.

Plug your guitar directly into the return to bypass the preamp. Is it still making the hum? If it's a tube amp, it could well need new filter caps.

After I replaced the caps, the amp was dead quiet.

Comment

I just saw this today.
                        https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Working...
                        X