Speaker Enclosure Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Enclosure Design

I recently acquired an old tube Hifi that I am refurbishing to use modern speakers and a solid-state receiver. The speaker baffles each hold one 1in tweeter, 4in midrange, and 10in woofer. The satellite speaker has legs and sits about 4 inches tall. I was thinking about adding a 12in speaker to the bottom baffle of the satellite to act as a subwoofer powered separately from the other speakers. Are there any downsides to this design?

Attached Files

Are you planning to port the bottom of the box?

I saw some videos on YouTube abot this

Some use the elongated signal pattern

One set of videos had a 2x3 foot section of one inch foam insulation and a driver

Ton of ways to do this
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Check the intended cabinet dimension requirements of the speakers you plan to put in there. Adding the subwoofer could put uneven backpressure on the other drivers, screwing up the sound. You'd probably have to calculate a required port size, or passive radiator, to release or absorb the extra pressure.

Comment

You might encounter phase issues.
        I would place the sub separate.

Comment

having the sub in the same cabinet will be less of an issue than one would think. Of course, the crossover design will be the biggest driver in the outcome. Another huge thing to think of will be the driver spacing. You should shoot for as close as possible, having the spacing you have will result in uncorrectable phase issues. It would also be advisable to seal the sub into its own chamber.

Comment

Working...
          X