AC15 head vs combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC15 head vs combo

Does anyone have experience with both the Vox AC15 head and combo? They're the same price and I'm trying to figure out which is better for bedroom/studio playing. I don't gig and only play in my office/home recording studio but rarely have an opportunity to crank an amp (I have a family, neighbors, etc). Am I better off with the head which has the attenuator or is the master volume on the combo workable enough?

I have an empty guitar enclosure which I intend to fill with, probably, a Neo Creamback (I'd love an alnico gold but they're pretty pricey). I like the idea of getting the combo and having the versatility of the built in greenback (or alnico blue if the X model) or the external creamback whereas with the head I would only have the creamback option. That said, if the combo isn't usable at lower volumes then it doesn't matter how versatile the set up is if I can't use it due to volume constraints.

Any suggestions?

Well, for studio, I would certainly not use a 1x12.

As with any 1x12, the AC15 combo does sound small when mic'd. It's better than many others (like the Blues Junior), but I would still much rather get an AC15 and run it through a good 2x12 (or IR's) for recording.

I don't see any benefits to a combo over a head and cab setup, personally. I find it easier to split the weigt of an amp between head and cab than have a boat anchor combo which, on top of weighting more than a separate head and cab, sounds worse.

Comment

Not sure how many and what types of cabs you have. I would lean towards the head to mix and match it with different speakers for recording. This can also be accomplished by installing a speaker jack in the back of the combo. There is also an appeal to a combo seeing it is portable.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        I don't see any benefits to a combo over a head and cab setup, personally. I find it easier to split the weigt of an amp between head and cab than have a boat anchor combo which, on top of weighting more than a separate head and cab, sounds worse.
        Of course, this is genre-specific.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

single speaker combos are probably the most recorded amps in history. even when running a 4x12 in the studio, most of the time there is one mic slapped on one speaker. of course there are tons of possibilities, but thats still a true statement.

between the head and combo... what ac15 models are you looking at? the ac15 custom or ? i have heads and combos and for gigging i almost always use a combo since its easier. if its home and studio use, its less of an issue. a greenback is a great speaker, but the blue is much more the tone i think of when people talk about vox amps

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Of course, this is genre-specific.
            I hadn't thought about it, but maybe you're right.

I do know... was it Jeff Beck that uses cranked Pro Jr.'s?

But personally, for ANY genre of music, I would prefer my guitars to sound BIG. At least recorded, but that is my taste, and I'm less picky about in-the-room. But there are very few 1x12 cabs or combos that do that... and I wouldn't say the AC15 combo is one of them.

Maybe I'm not thinking of the high-end handwired AC15, though. But the AC15 I tried was the standard cheapie Chinese one with the Greenback. Great amp. I loved it. But under the mic, it certainly didn't sound like an AC30. I'm sure a good 2x12 with either Greenbacks, or even better, Blues, would get you 75% of the way closer, though. Of course, that's thinking you want the "iconic Vox sound". Maybe I'm ignorant and am missing some iconic tones made with the AC15.

BTW, the Greenbacks they put on the Chinese Vox amps are great, and I would put it up agaings a Blue any day of the week, and that's even coming from a guy who has a 1x12 with a Gold, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              single speaker combos are probably the most recorded amps in history
              Judas Priest records with 1x12 solid-state Marshalls.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                what ac15 models are you looking at? the ac15 custom or ?
                I wasn't as specific as I should have been. I'm talking about the AC15C1 (possibly X) or AC15CH.

Comment

ive had golds, blues, greenbacks and like them all. blues sound like i want a vox to sound, the others dont. greenbacks sound like what i want a marshall to sound like. golds are their own weird thing, but can sound great with the right amp.

yes, beck used a cranked pro jr in his rig for a while and it sounded great, but it was also blended with other amps live.

sounding big in the studio is much more about the recording than the amp. you can make a 1x8" combo sound huge in the studio. an ac15 isnt an ac30 and will never sound like one, but i dont think its the speaker(s) that are the culprit.

Comment

for home use the 15 watts is gonna be much louder than you think

5 watts is freaking loud in a 12x15 room

you want something with attenuation so you can choke it down
                    the volume knob doesnt do that properly

all tube amps sound better when above half way

any five watt amp above halfway will bother folks in the house

I had the same issue

my Tweed Carvin Belair is a glorious amp but is anemic at bedroom levels

I first got a Bugera G5 with a switch to go from 5 to 1 to 0.01 and it was awesome till the cheapness set in
                    it quit

i recently replaced it with the H&K Tonemaeister 20
                    it has a switch for watts from 20 to 5 to 1 to 0 no speaker required for silent operation internal load

and built in RedBox emulation for direct recording

the TM20 is in the same price range and sounds great
                    much more features and taylored more to what you want to do

its the same as I use mine for
                    Home Office/Studio
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                      all tube amps sound better when above half way
                      That's overgeneralizing. Every master volume is designed differently. Not everyone is playing the same style of music. And even if they are, everyone has a different perception of how much poweramp coloration they want.

Most people seem to agree the OG 5150's sweet spot is around 2.5-3.5 on the master, for example.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 08-22-2023, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                        That's overgeneralizing. Every master volume is designed differently. Not everyone is playing the same style of music. And even if they are, everyone has a different perception of how much poweramp coloration they want.

Most people seem to agree a 5150's sweet spot is around 2.5-3.5 on the master, for example.
                        is that the only part you disagree with?

fairly long post

lotta generalizations and myth in there

EHD

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Judas Priest records with 1x12 solid-state Marshalls.
                          Not on Firepower.

Comment

he wants an AC15
                            whats that like at low volume?
                            bet it is the same as my el84 Belair
                            EHD

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                              he wants an AC15
                              whats that like at low volume?
                              bet it is the same as my el84 Belair
                              No, yeah. On that, I am 100% with you. The Vox magic is turning them up.

My own personal comment was more coming from a studio standpoint. You can still turn it upt and have it sound great dead silent if you plug it into a load and run some IR's. Which, TBH, might work for bedroom use as well.

And for that, you don't need a combo, which just takes up space, is heavier than a head, and doesn't sound better than using either a good IR... or a better/bigger cab.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 08-22-2023, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X