Bang for your buck amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bang for your buck amps

I am working on a column about bang for your buck amps. Sub $300 amps you might find used in a pawn shop or music store that are overlooked sleepers. Hit me with any amps you think I should consider for the column, I am only focusing on used amps.

I had a Crate GT-80DSP back in the day. It's a hybrid tube/solid state - switchable. The tube side had 2 Telefunken 12AU7s and a 12AX7. I used to use my Randall RG80 Celestion as an external speaker. The Crate as a pre into a heavy Celestion cab competed sonically with my JCM900 / 1960AV setup.

The Randall RG80 with Celestion 80 speaker was another one. It was solid state, but the distortion side sounded like a natural tube amp. You could pull the volume as a boost.

These are pretty old now. But yeah, you might find them in a pawn shop.

Comment

Wow, that's like half the amps that I have.
      How about this, a Behringer 212XV or something like that. Or a Randall RH200. Maybe you could even find a Jet City Picovalve for less than $300.Click image for larger version

Name:	AIL4fc9_aMPYRequgPoM4xlGN8fObLJRN4Zbq2YoNIOxBrK-1h-rd8fSoAnPCDrBXKsliODLbTcsaLwh3_gMCueEyHaZodMFd4YyMWy0VRmuL0yh_s803oF2UyBO7XEGNopyCE59IeLj-sMDb6IaTXMiK8prTLevXkWaxN5RuOVfgrQIFdVneOPdBAAzBmp86MxSUdO_MEMSb3wwwA0OdcIhCJSZ9A0eMqTelNgTMBk3GeDIyBqQ0I7-WH_MWOn
Views:	524
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	6248058

Comment

I say look for a used Katana.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I got my bugera v22 for like $220. I put in a better speaker and tubes and it's not bad. It's loud, can be clean, or classic rock dirty. Feels cheap in build quality, and dunno if you can still get them that price...

Comment

The only 2 that come to mind at that price are :

1. The Katana

2. Peavey XXL
            https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

I was happy with a Line 6 Flextone III for several years; loud enough to gig with (though I don't) and several good clean and high-gain sounds available if you tweak a bit. Stupid cheap for what they are these days: https://reverb.com/p/line-6-flextone..._source=google

Larry

Comment

Man how times have changed. 25 years ago I got my first Traynor tube head for $50 at a pawn shop and a Sovtek MIG100 for something like $150 at a guitar store. Now the same stuff goes for 8-10 times as much.

I'll say a Line 6 Flextone II. The "high gain tube amp" sounds aren't as convincing as new modelers, but there's enough power for most rehearsal/live situations, good sounds onboard, and a bunch of very useful effects.

edit - right on Larry
                Take it to the limit
                Everybody to the limit
                Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I’ll go with Egnater Tweaker 15, got mine for $250. With the right speaker combo, I’ve been able to surf, play rock and metal. I think I put a 5751 in v1 for better cleans; can’t remember.

Comment

1. Crate Power Block
                    2. Carvin X-100 B
                    3. Carvin V3
                    4. Peavey JSX
                    5. Any Seymour Duncan Power Stage

Comment

Originally posted by maug2122 View Post

2. Carvin X-100 B
                      3. Carvin V3
                      4. Peavey JSX
                      5. Any Seymour Duncan Power Stage
                      Great amps but I am trying to keep this sub-$300

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Great amps but I am trying to keep this sub-$300
                        Last month, I went to a pawn shop and they had a JSX amp for $ 290.00.
                        I went in yesterday, they sold it off .

Comment

Marshall valvestate 8040 40 w. It was my very first amp in 1994. I regret to sell it.

Comment

I’ll also go with Carvin Belair. Good pedal platform (good cleans), nice reverb and the Soak channel is usable with a 5751 and a speaker swap. Got mine for $250. Think I later added a Greenback and G12H anniversary that I had lying around.

Comment

Thanks guys I got my colum posted

Comment

Working...
                              X