16ohm 212 with Seymour Duncan Powerstage 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    200W of solid state power isn't nearly as loud as a cooking 40W tube amp.
    But I bet the Powerstage into 16Ω would be plenty loud enough for small venues.
    I don't know about that one, I'm running my Digitech 2112 SGS (two 12ax7 tubes), with two VHT Valvulator 1's ( one 12ax7 tube each) in stereo into two Crate Power Block ( class D powered), at 8 ohms/ 150 watts each . The other , who has a 100 Marshall tube amp can't match my volume, so I have lower it .

Comment

Originally posted by maug2122 View Post

I don't know about that one, I'm running my Digitech 2112 SGS (two 12ax7 tubes), with two VHT Valvulator 1's ( one 12ax7 tube each) in stereo into two Crate Power Block ( class D powered), at 8 ohms/ 150 watts each . The other , who has a 100 Marshall tube amp can't match my volume, so I have lower it .
      So that 100W tube amp isn't as loud as your 300 Watts of solid state? Not really that surprising, IMO.
      The beauty of solid state is, you can turn down without altering your tone or even affecting the feel much.
      Tube heads have a smaller sweet spot.

Either way, I'd wager you guys have more than enough volume for club venues & small theaters.

Of course, running in stereo also delivers higher SPLs than the same power in mono.
      The same way two 50W half stacks give you much, much more volume than a 100W full stack.

I'm running 20 tube Watts per side in my rack these days, and it's still substantially louder than my vintage 40W tube amps.
      Of course the Fenders have sixty-year-old speakers, as opposed to '90s Celestions...

PowerBlock was a great product, loud and reliable. I bet nearly all of them are still pumping out music.
      Have long considered getting one as an emergency backup.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

So that 100W tube amp isn't as loud as your 300 Watts of solid state? Not really that surprising, IMO.
        The beauty of solid state is, you can turn down without altering your tone or even affecting the feel much.
        Tube heads have a smaller sweet spot.

Either way, I'd wager you guys have more than enough volume for club venues & small theaters.

Of course, running in stereo also delivers higher SPLs than the same power in mono.
        The same way two 50W half stacks give you much, much more volume than a 100W full stack.

I'm running 20 tube Watts per side in my rack these days, and it's still substantially louder than my vintage 40W tube amps.
        Of course the Fenders have sixty-year-old speakers, as opposed to '90s Celestions...

PowerBlock was a great product, loud and reliable. I bet nearly all of them are still pumping out music.
        Have long considered getting one as an emergency backup.
        The CPB, is pretty much a Class D attempt of sounding like a Hi Watt 100 watt from the early 1970's. Alone, without tubes, it's a little lack luster, if you are accustomed to tube dynamics

Many use it as a back up, but I pump in tube dynamics with a Digitech 2112 SGS (two 12ax7 tubes) and two VHT Valvulators 1's ( each has 12ax7 tube ) before going into two Crate Power Blocks at 150 watts in stereo .

I helped a friend build his rack, but he is using two powerful little Quilter " Block" style amps that similar to my set up . I sold him my Eleven Rack and man he's got many great tone variations .

Carvin's SX 300, Randall RG 80 and RG 100 are pretty good solid state amps .

Comment

Working...
        X