• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Link doesn't play, my man.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      the 2204 models didnt really change much between the jmp and jcm years. it was mostly due to the rose morris deal ending that they changed the look/series name. there was some variation even with the jtm years and jcm years. if they cant get 56k resistors, then 47k is close enough to keep production going
      Well, the biggest difference was the MK II leads was the 2 input High/Low over the traditional 4 input people patched. I actually prefer the JMP MKii 2 input or JCM version.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

yes, but the mkii four input models are 1987 and 1959, not 2203 or 2004 right? the 2203/2004 are master volume single channel amps only as far as i know

Comment

Yeah, as far as I know, there are vertical and horizontal input versions of the 2203/2204 where they line up the high and low inputs differently, and there seems to be a difference between those. Don't know if it's actual circuit differences or different trannies or what.

Comment

They went to horizontal input jacks when the pots got mounted to the boards rather than using flying leads between pots and board. At about the same time, though, the number of blue cans, or filter caps, got reduced on the 100 watt models. The earlier ones with more cans are supposed to have tighter lows with more punch. There was no change in the filter caps of the 50 watt models, though.

Late 70's JMP and early JCM800 models had 6550s instead of EL34s in the USA and Japanese markets, but not the European market. The difference between early 800s and late 70's is mostly cosmetic. There's a difference in negative feedback between 6550 versions and EL34 versions, though.

Traditionally, 50 watt Marshalls had Drake trannies, and 100 watt Marshalls had Dagnalls. During the 90's one or both of the tranny companies closed up shop if I recall correctly,

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              yes, but the mkii four input models are 1987 and 1959, not 2203 or 2004 right? the 2203/2004 are master volume single channel amps only as far as i know
              Hmmm, I thought there was 4 input early model 2200s -but I never owned one. Ive only had the high/low 2203/04 and even the 2210 master volume versions
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

ive never seen a four input 22XX model or a 22xx without a master volume. i suppose they could be out there but nothing ive seen or read suggested that to be true. the horizontal vs vertical input models are really close. there are some instances where the voltages are a bit different but i think there is almost as much variation within the same types. at the end of the day, a 2204 sounds like a 2204 to me. there is some neg feedback difference between the 2203 and 2204 though which keeps the 100w even tighter

Comment

Any 4-input 2203/04 was modded to have it. They did not come with 4 stock. Now, the chassis between the JMP 2 (2203/04) and 4 hole (1987/59) amps was the same but the face plates of the 2203/04 covered up 2 of the holes so they weren't seen. There aren't any JCM 2203/2204's that are 4-hole stock.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                    Any 4-input 2203/04 was modded to have it. They did not come with 4 stock. Now, the chassis between the JMP 2 (2203/04) and 4 hole (1987/59) amps was the same but the face plates of the 2203/04 covered up 2 of the holes so they weren't seen. There aren't any JCM 2203/2204's that are 4-hole stock.
                    Makes sense, all I know is the 2204 6550 Marshall was the best amp I ever owned IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      Just get a DSL40 and work the knobs a little.

FYI - that is my goto model for Hair Metal...with an SD1 boosting...
                      Agreed on the DSL40! That thing rocks!
                      It's funny how some stories became historic,
                      especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                      But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X