Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp / Amp Sim Recommendations ?!

Hello guys!

So after 3 years of doing predominantly studio work and guitar lessons, I have just been asked to play in quite a successful band here in Spain playing disco / pop songs as funk/soul covers.

I need to buy some sort of amp for live shows.

I'm thinking whether to get a physical tube amp for gigs or whether to go down the 'amp-in-a-box' path. My budget is around 500 euros and am looking for a practical rig that will still have a great sound. I want to faf about least possible when I get on stage. Plug in and play, reduce risk of technical failure.

Have never had experience with amp sim hardware. The options would be something like the UA dream, UA Ruby, DSM Simplifier (not interested in quad-cortex and such).

In terms of tube Amps, I'm open to suggestions but something reminiscent of either the fender deluxe sound or AC30 (I'm still to decide which would suit the tracklist better).

anyway, I'm open to any suggestions!

Thank you in advance!

I like my HX Stomp, but at this point, it's starting to become outdated tech. I don't know how long they'll keep milking it.

But at that price point, I'd rather have Line 6 than Headrush, Hotone, or whatever. There just is more stuff available for the Line 6 stuff.

Comment

You can get a Katana and do that gig with no issues.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd suggest going the tube amp route. I don't know the European used market, but a Peavey Classic 30, Traynor YCV20 or YCS-50, Crate V33 or a Fender Hot Rod are all good options that sell used for $500 USD or less.
        "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Fo gigging for DIsco/Pop? I'd get a Boss Katana.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Thank you all for all the great advice! I will be looking into all of these options!

Comment

I'd go Katana. I've used one live for months on end. If it's not your main gig, they're affordable, sound great, roadworthy and are reliable.

Comment

If you have an Android tablet I would go Boss Katana with Katana Librarian software for tweaking at gigs.
                If not, I would go Line 6 Catalyst with 1-2 pedals.
                If you have a bigger budget I would go Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb with 2-3 pedals.

Comment

I'd say that you don't really need to tweak the Katana at gigs outside of the front panel.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have no experience with modelling type amps.

As regards tube amps, apart from Fender and Vox amps that would suit, Laney make a variety of Vox styled amps that are good value second hand here.

Where will you be gigging?

Comment

Positive Grid has a 40 watt option on sale right now
                      you have 4 presets with effects at the touch of a switch

Should be able to gig with that
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Sorry for the super late reply guys. I did a bunch of trial and error and ended up on the DSM Simplifier for now. Very practical as it just sits on my pedalboard and the sound is great. I’m still slightly undecided as I miss the true valve amp hump but I don’t know if that’s worth the extra valve amp hastle for now.

Comment

I had (and still have) a bunch of modelling solutions over the years, but if I would have been in your situation I would get a Peavey Classic 30.
                          And I would also get a Bluamp Blubox so I would be sure that I have the same sound night after night.

Comment

Working...
                          X