banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s the deal with Tung Sol right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s the deal with Tung Sol right now?

I’ve been selling off surplus tubes I have lying around and when pricing them, I noticed Tung Sol 12AX7 preamp tubes have ludicrously spiked in price, some attempting to be sold for 600 frackin’ dollars and above for a quartet (I can literally retube a whole amp for that.)

While I was transparent with the buyer about it and didn’t act anywhere near as greedy, I still made a profit for how much they’re going for compared to what I paid for them based on every listing I’ve seen. Is this another Bad Monkey situation where people are being misled? Is it a supply issue? I can’t think of any sensible reason preamp tubes, especially used would be listed for so much all of a sudden.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

no idea. i use and like modern tung sols, but havent bought any recently. didnt know the prices had spiked on em. old ones are getting more and more rare, so i can understand those prices going up but im not willing to shell out ridiculous prices for nos stuff most of the time

Comment

Like, actual Tung Sols or Russian Tung Sols?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        Like, actual Tung Sols or Russian Tung Sols?
        Just Tung Sols, no particular unique designation or anything. People are trying to get far more for them than any sensible amount.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Anything now will be dismissed as "supply chain issues."

IMO market is heavily distorted and speculative right now for everything and has been since 2019 when COVID began.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post

Just Tung Sols, no particular unique designation or anything. People are trying to get far more for them than any sensible amount.
            No, I meant like old NOS Tung Sols or current production ones?

Because the NOS stuff has always been pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              No, I meant like old NOS Tung Sols or current production ones?

Because the NOS stuff has always been pricey.
              Literally any and not even NOS. Just used Tung Sol 12AX7s with ridiculous asking prices that you could get a quartet of power tubes. I looked long enough to notice a pattern hence why I am asking if anyone knows why. I’m aware of their “normal” pricing. That’s why I had so many I could spare some to sell.

Comment

I guess it's because of the whole war situation in Russia and the fact that Russian TS's are kinda well-regarded. They seem to be New Sensor's top-of-the-line below Gold Lion and alongside Mullard.

Tubes overall increased in price after the shortage from a couple of years ago, and never really went down. Then add the Russia Ukraine stuff right now. I think that may be it.

Comment

Pootin can suck-et aint gettin nuthin from me.

Comment

Just list them in Rubles and note you won't trade for blue jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      Just list them in Rubles and note you won't trade for blue jeans.
                      or Vodka.

Comment

It's because people are idiots.

Comment

I would assume the price of socks and underwear has gone up since the pandemic, but I don't see people freaking out about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            I would assume the price of socks and underwear has gone up since the pandemic, but I don't see people freaking out about that.
                            Underwear is optional, so you can always cut back in that area.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

you guys wear underwear?

Comment

Working...
                              X