Clear All

• NAD: Six Years Ago, I Started a Little Thread

​​And now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bilde.png
Views:	134
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	6258369 zz0.ynxpi6j8pxzz

In 2017, when I was stil a PhD student, I started a thread about Rockman tones in modern units, which went on to become the most-replied-to thread in the history of the Amplifier Central. There are some promising projects promising a pure Rockman experience with modern units now, but as I am now in the workforce and have started making a little more money, I decided to go for this unit when I found it for about 900€, which is about half of what they usually go for. To put the matter succinctly, this is basically a rackmount version of the classic Rockman with more options and patching capabilities built into a unit that also features a power amp and two 6" speakers. One of the speakers sadly seems to be squealing uncontrollably, but realistically speaking I would want some other speakers in this anyway. It does not sound organic, but it does sound huge, and out of the box it is EQ'd to sit well in a mix. Musically it should be able to do any pristine cleans and gain tones at least as far as classic thrash. I have not explored how the "edge of breakup" stuff works on it (that particular sound never interested me that much), but I would be pleasantly surprised if that was not a relative weak spot. It certainly does a whole lot more than Scholz, but arena rock is its ground zero. Even so, if you compile a list of all the albums the Rockman gear was used on you'd end up with a surprisingly long and eclectic list (probably more so than we know of, given its popularity with session players!); this unit can get close to all of those tones.

The speaker thing was a bit of a bummer, but sadly to be expected for a 30+ y/o unit. Apart from that, I realistically speaking couldn't be happier about it, even if the unit is redundantly ginormous: it is larger than my JVM, or wide the size of two rack units, and half of it is really only an enclosure for one 6" speaker. In that respect the amp was definitely an experiment, and perhaps not an entirely succesful one.

I don't complain too much about the speaker situation, though, as I happen to have a cabinet lined up for it, that I hope to fill with speakers during Christmas:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bilde.png
Views:	135
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	6258370 zz0.arvywrl2j6zz

This was built by the same guy who does maintenance of Scholz's amps, apparently. It is based on a 2x12 combo version of my amp, and will be filled with stereo FRFR speakers.​

(The strings of text after the photos are not me having an aneurysm, but a leftover from copy-pasting in the photos. I had to make several attempts to get this posted, and in the end I didn't dare to remove them.)

Comment

Very cool. Wanted a set of rack modules for a while to see what they could do, but out of my budget. I do have two Rockmans (rev 8 and 10), a Soloist and a Bass Rockman, so I am plenty content for now.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Very cool. Wanted a set of rack modules for a while to see what they could do, but out of my budget. I do have two Rockmans (rev 8 and 10), a Soloist and a Bass Rockman, so I am plenty content for now.
        I have one of the headphone amps myself, and whilst they have the same cool sound, I found them a little too limited to use in practice, since you can't easily switch between different channels. This really IS a glorified Rockman, though, and I say that as a compliment to the original unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post

I have one of the headphone amps myself, and whilst they have the same cool sound, I found them a little too limited to use in practice, since you can't easily switch between different channels. This really IS a glorified Rockman, though, and I say that as a compliment to the original unit.
          That's why i have several. I can put them on A/B boxes in different configurations. One clean with effects, one grit, one lead. With the Soloist I can turn off all effects.

Comment

Working...
          X