NSD: Electro-Harmonix 12" speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSD: Electro-Harmonix 12" speakers

New speaker (s) day. I bought a pair of these cuz they're cheap ($35 apiece).

The 75W one's. Anyone tried them out ? Electro-harmonix describes them as "like vintage Celestions" w/e that means. Big 50oz magnets.. a good sign as far as I'm concerned..

The little info I've come across about them describes them as similar to well-worn in G12T75's rather than V30's.......

They come stock in the Electro-Harmonix (Sovtek) Mig 50 cab's. which don't sound bad on YT...

Don't really have anywhere to put them yet so they will be popped in my cupboard for now. If they're any good I might swap out the HH speaker's in my cheap camo Laney 4x12 for these..(either just two of them or get a couple more and swap out all four) The HH's are decent & get the job done, but these might be better.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    The little info I've come across about them describes them as similar to well-worn in G12T75's rather than V30's.......
    What's the dustcap like? Because if it is small, the dustcap and the magnet size would put it more in line with V30's. Or H30's. Or H-75's.

I would like to try those. But at the same time, I'm all about Celestions, LOL.

Comment

No kidding? Would they go well with G12Ks?
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        What's the dustcap like? Because if it is small, the dustcap and the magnet size would put it more in line with V30's. Or H30's. Or H-75's.

I would like to try those. But at the same time, I'm all about Celestions, LOL.
        Dustcap's large,.. Magnet's large. I'm curious to hear how they sound but at the same time too lazy to start swapping things out of my cab's right now

Cheap speaker's are a sort of guilty pleasure of mine. I've been very pleasantly surprised by too many of them too often to discount them offhand..

Plus truth be told I lean more towards Eminence/WGS than Celestion anyway..

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post
          No kidding? Would they go well with G12Ks?
          As of now your guess is as good as mine

Youtube

Comment

Dustcap's large,.. Magnet's large. I'm curious to hear how they sound but at the same time too lazy to start swapping things out of my cab's right now

Cheap speaker's are a sort of guilty pleasure of mine. I've been very pleasantly surprised by too many of them too often to discount them offhand..

Plus truth be told I lean more towards Eminence/WGS than Celestion anyway.
            Ah, then it's probably more along the lines of a G12-80 or a C90 something like that.

Comment

Do the speaker-in-a-cardboard box trick to test and report back

Comment

New speaker (s) day. I bought a pair of these cuz they're cheap ($35 apiece).

The 75W one's. Anyone tried them out ? Electro-harmonix describes them as "like vintage Celestions" w/e that means. Big 50oz magnets.. a good sign as far as I'm concerned..

They come stock in the Electro-Harmonix (Sovtek) Mig 50 cab's. which don't sound bad on YT...

Don't really have anywhere to put them yet so they will be popped in my cupboard for now. If they're any good I might swap out the HH speaker's in my cheap camo Laney 4x12 for these..(either just two of them or get a couple more and swap out all four) The HH's are decent & get the job done, but these might be better.
                I have had them for about three years. The code on the white sticker makes them Eminence.

Comment

Awesome...so what do think of them/what do they sound like?

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                    Do the speaker-in-a-cardboard box trick to test and report back
                    Hopefully idsnowdog can give us a better report

Youtube

Comment

I got one back during covid

Mine is 8 ohm

I like it sounds good

Video comparison with Eminence speciall in a jet city cab
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Cool..thanks. Sound in that video's reallly phasey though. Makes it tough to get a decent idea of the sound.

I found this one on YT, the only hi-gain clip I could find. Eminence cab (presumably w/ these in it) and a Joyo Bantam head. The guy has'nt matched levels w/ the Bugera Trirec/Engl Cab he was comparing it to.

But if you just listen to the Joyo-Electro Harmonix clip (12:45) ...it actually sounds pretty wicked! Reminds me most of an Emi CV 75 (which imo is a killer sounding speaker) with a distinctive awesome tone.of it's own..(and since these are apparently re-badged Emi's...who knows? I need to check CV75 specs now ..)

Youtube

Comment

Cool..thanks. Sound in that video's reallly phasey though. Makes it tough to get a decent idea of the sound.

I found this one on YT, the only hi-gain clip I could find. Eminence cab (presumably w/ these in it) and a Joyo Bantam head. The guy has'nt matched levels w/ the Bugera Trirec/Engl Cab he was comparing it to.

But if you just listen to the Joyo-Electro Harmonix clip (12:45) ...it actually sounds pretty wicked! Reminds me most of an Emi CV 75 (which imo is a killer sounding speaker) with a distinctive awesome tone.of it's own..(and since these are apparently re-badged Emi's...who knows? I need to check CV75 specs now ..)

IIRC the code on my speakers is 1275 which is the same as the Emi CV75. I have them mixed with Celestions in a Kustom cab. They have a lot of doping which makes them sound stiff.

Comment

Thanks for the info

..& Bingo...there's definitely a strong similarity as far as sound goes. They may not be the exact same thing (as a CV 75) but they're very similar sounding & probably share the same internal workings/specs for the most part. I did notice the generous doping...

Youtube

Comment

It think these are the same as the ones that come stock in the Dirt Road Special amps
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X