MAGNATONE Slash SL-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAGNATONE Slash SL-100

For the first time in over 30 years, the iconic rock guitarist of Guns N’ Roses fame has collaborated with a new amplifier company—Magnatone—to create the Slash Signature SL-100 amplifier, co-designed with longtime Magnatone engineer and amp guru, Obeid Khan.

Not for that price, nope
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

So Marshall didn't pay Slash enough for an endorsement but Magnatone is and is passing that cost onto customers?

Comment

Or I could pay $100 for a MIB to plug into my JC120

Comment

Magnatones are quite pricey in general. This one is even more so, but not completely out of line for them.
          Obviously they feel their target market is willing to pay that much.
          It's probably a killer amp. Not likely worth $5K to me of course.
          But if I were still writing gear off my taxes I might be tempted to check one out.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
            Magnatones are quite pricey in general. This one is even more so, but not completely out of line for them.
            Obviously they feel their target market is willing to pay that much.
            It's probably a killer amp. Not likely worth $5K to me of course.
            But if I were still writing gear off my taxes I might be tempted to check one out.
            One of the problems with music gear in general is you never know if you will like something until you use it in your rig.

The trial and error process becomes cost prohibitive and impractical since you can't own and store every single combination of gear you might want.

Boutique gear is fine, but where can I try it in person outside of a major metro?

Further, how many people can afford to buy it at list price? I think at this price they would be lucky to sell a few hundred, much less a few thousand.

And so they have to charge that much and build these things by hand because there is never enough demand to justify mass production.

No mass production means no economy of scale to lower prices. No lower prices means most of this kind of gear will be bought used, denying the manufacturer profits from it.

And the artist can always just change endorsements, possibly lowering the prestige value of owning the gear.

It will forever remain a niche thing, more or less, along with owning a Koenigsegg as a daily driver.

Comment

Wow... that's expensive.

Not a fan of Slash, Guns 'N Roses, Radio Rock in general, or Marshall-style amps. So 0 interested on my part, personally.

I kinda hate how the trend in gear design nowadays is making guitars/amps look like they're some sort of quirky cheap Asian knockoff stuff from the 70's, except everything is so expensive. I don't mean for the Slash sig, but for the rest of the Magnatone lineup. But the Slash amp as well, kinda.

I'm sure the amp is great, though.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-20-2023, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                Wow... that's expensive.

Not a fan of Slash, Guns 'N Roses, Radio Rock in general, or Marshall-style amps. So 0 interested on my part, personally.

I kinda hate how the trend in gear design nowadays is making guitars/amps look like they're some sort of quirky cheap Asian knockoff stuff from the 70's, except everything is so expensive. I don't mean for the Slash sig, but for the rest of the Magnatone lineup. But the Slash amp as well, kinda.

I'm sure the amp is great, though.

Comment

You could get a Ceriatone SL-100 clone for under $2,000. Pass.
                  "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

One thing Slash's collaborations with Gibson have proven is that people will pay the big bucks, Slash is cool, but it's still basically a Marshall right?!! I won't be buying one, that green snake is pretty badass though!
                    Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                    Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                    Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                    Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Well… I like the tolex, but that is pretty much all that I can say about it. If you want to sound like Slash I would recommend a JCM 800, an overdrive pedal and the right attitude when playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                        Well… I like the tolex, but that is pretty much all that I can say about it. If you want to sound like Slash I would recommend a JCM 800, an overdrive pedal and the right attitude when playing.
                        There have been no video demos yet how can you decide already ?

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                          There have been no video demos yet how can you decide already ?
                          The combination of the price tag and the fact that it isn't particularly difficult to get in the ballpark of that tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post

The combination of the price tag and the fact that it isn't particularly difficult to get in the ballpark of that tone.

You mean there isnt more to Slashtoan than a Marshall, a Les Paul a tophat and a carton of Marlboro's >

Comment

Well, I think there was a Mockingbird in the mix as well, but once you count in the inevitable studio magic (possibly including a session player?) I don't really think there is that much more too it.

Oh, and mixing vodka and orange juice, Slash? That is pretty embarrasing.
                              Last edited by Sirion; 01-02-2024, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X