Help please - looking for overdrive or boost pedal for 5E3 Deluxe clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please - looking for overdrive or boost pedal for 5E3 Deluxe clone

Want to use the 5E3 clone as a practice amp/low volumes but get that beautiful overdrive it has when running at high volumes.

Have added 5E3 Deluxe With Cascaded Channels mod - that is a good start;
    also added separate master volume control - getting closer.

but need more to push it into that sweet zone.

Have never had much luck putting pedals in front of the 5E3, it somehow loses the classic sound.

Not optimistic but thinking maybe some of the local tone wizards may have found the formula.

Maybe just a clean boost to hit the preamp harder?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

EQ would work

I have several inexpensive drive pedals that love tube amps

Joyo Ultimate Drive
      Is one
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        EQ would work
        Is one
        I was thinking the same thing. I would go with an EQ or some type of EP Boost.

Comment

I would definitely go with more clean gain than distortion on something like an OCD or even a Klone. I'm really loving the germanium Tumnus for adding gain to an edge of breakup amp.

Comment

If you can afford both, I would go for both a clean boost and an overdrive. I'm sure you can get use out of both under different scenarios.

There are some pedals where you can actually have both. The TC Electronic Spark (not the mini, the full-size one) has some mild distortion you can blend in as well as the clean boosted sound and some EQ capabilities. The voicing of the mild distortion is not fantastic, though. That pedal works best IMO as a clean-ish boost with some color and some EQ capabilities.

I would go for a Spark (full-size) alongside a TS-type or Klon-type if you want the clean/overdrive blend, or an OCD-type if you want the grittier overdrive.

Comment

I'd go with a relatively uncoloured/flat sounding OD (something like a Nobels ODR-1 can be set this way, maybe a Boss BD-2 if you don't mind the bass cut, or an OD-3 if you don't mind the slight mid scoop). This way you get some light added gain that doesn't change the sound of the amp too much, plus the ability to run the pedal just like a clean boost.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Perhaps the Pickup Booster?
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I was gonna say clean boost of choice too, but then Ehd suggested EQ. I like EQ a lot, and here is why:

As you lower the volume, the response curve from bass to treble really changes, especially at lower volumes. So, with the Master volume, using an EQ you can
                  1. Hit it harder while maintaining low volume and
                  2. Adjust B/M/T for changes due to the overall volume in frequency response

I think that is what the real issue. Not what the amp is doing, but what comes out of the speaker. So make some pre-adjustments to the EQ, along with some clean boost.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

where is the master volume and how are the channels cascaded?

i have a pretty straight 5e3 clone, but with .047 coupling caps rather than .1. i assume you are running 12ax7s in both slots?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      where is the master volume and how are the channels cascaded?

i have a pretty straight 5e3 clone, but with .047 coupling caps rather than .1. i assume you are running 12ax7s in both slots?

Rob Robinette’s 5E3 mods:

Master volume = replaced the phase inverter's 1M grid leak resistor with a 1MA pot​.

Cascaded Channels mod = Normal Channel is rerouted to Bright Hi input jack switch terminal. Normal Volume pot becomes 'Gain' Volume. V1A and B's cathodes must be separated by installing a 1.5k ohm (1/2watt or higher) cathode resistor and one or two 22µF 25v cathode resistor bypass capacitors on V1A and V1B's cathodes (pins 3 & 8). The Gain Volume pot uses pin 3 for input and pin 2 (center wiper) for output. A 680k ohm resistor is added to pin 2 to limit Gain Channel gain.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	150
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	6265354
                      correct on .1 caps and 12AX7s.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        EQ would work

I have several inexpensive drive pedals that love tube amps

Joyo Ultimate Drive
                        Is one
                        Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Ordered the Joyo Ultimate Drive, should have it in a couple of days. Videos sound like a good choice with many interesting options. Reviews all very positive, evidently a Chinese clone of the OCD 1 S1.
                        Last edited by justFred; 01-01-2024, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Mostly a clone but has some changes

Not an exact clone
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I'm late to the party but, since most fender amp eqs are a bit scooped on the mids, a TS like od (tube screamer, boss sd1 ...) always works good

Comment

bf/sf amps are mid scooped, tweeds are not. a ts into a 5e3 isnt a good plan. those circuit changes are enough that my amp and yours are quite different. how clean is your tone at the volume you are working with?

Comment

Working...
                              X