Mesa Tremoverb Settings Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Tremoverb Settings Advice Needed

So this past weekend, my other guitarist and I changed our rehearsal room rigs; He swapped his Boogie Mark V 1x12 Combo & Mesa Recto Vertical 2x12 Cab with his Marshall JVM410H head & a Marshall MX212 loaded with one V30 and one GK12-100 and a Line 6 POD HD500X on the FX Loop for effects only.

I swapped my old Peavey 6505+ Head (USA Made) with my Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned as the Peavey head has recently developed a very loud humming noise on the Lead channel and I got nervous and don't want to damage anything so I swapped with my 1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head & the Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back and a DigiTech RP360XP on the FX Loop for effects only.

Now the DigiTech the expression pedal on it is set to do a volume boost when stepping on it and worked fine through the Peavey but with the Mesa, and I suspect it's because of the Parallel effects loop, the pedal did nothing and I had my Maxon OD808 hooked up thrugh the front end of the Tremoverb with the gain at 0 and the Balance at Max and the Tone about 12 Noon and it seemed to only act as a volume boost on the Orange channel but not on the Red channel?

It has to have been over a year or more since I last played through the Mesa Tremoverb rig and I must say, it was quite a contrast in sound versus my other amps and especially against my other guitarist's Marshall JVM410 rig! Just seemed like my Tremoverb was all "scooped" sounding even with the mid-range knob almost at 10 on the Red channel? It is running 6L6's in it. The Epiphone Alex Lifeson LP sounded good through it but the ESP LTD Kirk Hammett Signature KH-602 - Purple Sparkle sounded "hollow"??

I do have an MXR 6-Band EQ pedal too that I haven't tried using, wondering if it would help any?​

Click image for larger version

Name:	16846.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	6265690
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

marshall is always going to be way more mid-forward than the tremoverb, nothing will change that. Embrace it and find a tone that is complimentary to his, rather than similar. That said, with a Mesa, lowering the highs will bring the mids more forward. With their EQ, often times lowering what you don't want will being forward what you do. Alternatively, I found an EH 12ax7 in V1 to fatten up the tone a fair bit with mine.

Comment

Don't fight it.

Work TOGETHER with the other guitar player.

You provide the booty, he provides the mids.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
      X