Alnico Speakers closed vs open back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico Speakers closed vs open back

I have tried five or six different Alnico speakers in a closed-back cabinet but they don't sound as good as a ceramic magnet speaker. For lack of a better term, Alnicos seem to breathe better in open-back cabinets.

Do Alnico magnet speakers sound good in closed-backed cabinets?

yes
    20.00%
    no
    60.00%
    maybe
    20.00%

i like alnicos for a vintage type tone with some amps, but i dont think they are the end all be all that some people suggest. i do tend to use alnico speakers more in open back cabs, but its mostly cause i use combos almost exclusively. i love alnicos in tweed fender combos, they can be hit or miss in brown or bf fenders. like em with a jtm type marshall but prefer ceramics with plexi or more modern amps. vox usually sound good with alnicos

Comment

To me, the chime and shimmer in the treble frequencies that an Alnico has is lost in a closed-back cabinet. They also don't have the bass response or power handling to project well in a closed-back cabinet. I like a mix of paper and hemp cone speakers with alnico and ceramic magnets in an open-back cabinet.

Comment

It's impossible to answer . Alnico or Ceramic is just a part of a big number of parameters in a speaker, it's not a particular model

Comment

Nope. Don't agree.

FWIW, I don't like almost any speaker inside an open back cabinet, TBH. At least not for the music that I play.

I have an Alnico Gold in my Krank 1x12. I mean... it sounds as good as a little 1x12 can.

Also, FWIW, I'm referring to Celestions. I just plain don't like Alnico Jensens... or most Jensens for that matter.

LOL. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
          X