Vox Ac10C1VS speaker suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox Ac10C1VS speaker suggestions...

Want to swap the speaker in my Vox AC10. It has a Celestion V Type Jr and the amp is too "chimey" for my taste. Like ice pic in the ear "chimey". The top boost circuit, bass and treble controls, makes it so when I bring my mids up the highs go up too. I'm thinking a mellower speaker might help like a celestion creamback or Ted Weber alnico blue pup. Oh yeah, glass= 2x ehx el84's and 1 tunsol and 1 mullard 12ax7. Maybe different valves?

Speakers will make a whole lot more difference than tubes for sure.

I used to have the 10 inch Greenback and it was pretty mellow as far as top-end goes.

Comment

thats a bright amp. i might look at a hemp cone speaker. how much clearance do you have between the speaker and tubes?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240115_175321.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	6267011Not much...sorry didn't have a tape measure or ruler handy.
        Attached Files

Comment

so not much. a weber ceramic silver 10 is a great speaker, but not inexpensive. if you want a warmer tone, get the 30w version over the 20w.

Comment

Dang VOX amps are chime
            kinda their thing

New amp maybe
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I know Vox are chimey amps, this was a gift from my brother when I lost all my gear in a tornado in 2014. So....kinda stuck with it. I've played through an ac15 and an ac30 and they are not as bright as this amp is.

Comment

I emailed eminince, and they confirmed I can use an 8ohm speaker in a 16ohm amp, so I may be ordering me an eminence cannabis rex 10.

Comment

never used the crex 10, but i really like the 12. its very efficient for a 10, so it will probably be louder than the previous speaker

Comment

Yeah, a different speaker may help. Ye want a Vox to be chimey but not to the point you can cut diamonds with it , and this amp is, as you note, basically the top boost channel of its bigger brethren.

A tech's perspective on this model:

Originally posted by dominus
                    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Working...
                    X