Combo Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo Options

For quite a long time now I’ve been using a Vox AV30 combo. I have no plans of unloading it and will use it until it dies but it’s the only amp I have. I have a couple of DI setups but would like another amp in the stable.

I’ve narrowed it down to these. Two of these I can get used around here.

Blackstar Debut 50R - on back order, nothing used locally, great deal new at $249. No frills 2-channel mosfet amp with reverb.

Quilter Aviator Club UK - one for sale locally. Mint to new condition with cover. Asking price is $450. Great deal for that.

Boss Nextone Stage - one for sale locally. Great condition. Comes with foot switch. Nice features. Listed at $275.

I use a few pedals and all of these appear to be great pedal platforms in addition to have a great core sound. I love the WYSIWYG of the Blackstar and Quilter. The Boss is like that too but has deeper editing capabilities with software. Not sure how deep I’d want to go.

The Quilter seems like a no-brainer at that price compared to what they are new. And they are light. That one is a couple pounds lighter than my Vox. The other two are great deals as well and sound really good from all the demos and reviews I’ve watched, which I have listened to thru studio monitors.

Decisions decisions.

What would you pick?
    Last edited by ErikH; 01-28-2024, 10:29 PM.

Nextone don't have deep editing like the Katana.

Comment

I’ve taken the Katana out of the running after watching a bunch of demos. I want my amp to be simple and that is far from it. Sure, it’s full of features but I don’t need that stuff in an amp I’ll use live. The other guitar player in the blues/rock band I just joined has the Katana head.

I'm actually trying to get in touch with the seller of the Quilter. Those are great amps.

Comment

The guy selling the Quilter must not want to sell it that bad. He won't even reply to my messages. Or he sold it already and didn't remove the listing or mark it as sold.

Comment

I picked up a used Vox VT50 for $125 and a AD30 for $80 a few weeks ago, the 50 for a practice amp for me, including jams, and the 30 for my gf's house for us both to use. I could gig with the 50, I don't use the high gain channels, most are too compressed, but the 80's Brit model is nice and takes being pushed by Rats or SD-1s surprisingly well.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
            I picked up a used Vox VT50 for $125 and a AD30 for $80 a few weeks ago, the 50 for a practice amp for me, including jams, and the 30 for my gf's house for us both to use. I could gig with the 50, I don't use the high gain channels, most are too compressed, but the 80's Brit model is nice and takes being pushed by Rats or SD-1s surprisingly well.
            I had a Vox AD50VT. Sold it after I threw my back out for a lighter option, which led to the AV30 I have now. I've used the AD30 at rehearsals before. Both good amps. Gigged with that 50 for years though. Definitely loud enough to go over a drummer. You got a screamin' deal on both of those.

Comment

Yeah, I'm really having fun with the VT50 and a Rat, way too much for $125 LOL. .

Comment

Welp, the two Quilter's listed locally have crickets. Neither seller is responding to me. I can see one has read my messages but nothing back. I mean, wow. I want to buy his amp but he's giving zero communication back. Jumped on a deal for the Boss Nextone Stage 40 w/ the GA-FC footswitch included. Perfect for what I need. Solid pedal platform, good sounds. Not too fancy. Meeting the seller tomorrow.
                Last edited by ErikH; 01-31-2024, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  I’ve taken the Katana out of the running after watching a bunch of demos. I want my amp to be simple and that is far from it.
                  I have the same problem with too many options I start losing a huge amount of time in the millions options. I decided to keep the chain, including the amp, the simpler (althoungh I have 8 pedals in the pedalboard, but no midi stuff or programmable things)

Comment

I'd go Blackstar. Simpler is simpler.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post

I have the same problem with too many options I start losing a huge amount of time in the millions options. I decided to keep the chain, including the amp, the simpler (althoungh I have 8 pedals in the pedalboard, but no midi stuff or programmable things)
                      The Katana does have a lot of options, but once you set up the initial channels as you like them (the app makes this easy), I never have to touch the knobs much at all except for volume.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                      X