banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for another round of: Talk me out of this amp (boogie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for another round of: Talk me out of this amp (boogie)

Filmed in front of a live studio audience, it's time once again for Talk Me Out of this Amp

[applause]

Yes I've got about 400 ways to make the same sound - modelers, tube amps, pedals. Even my farts are profiled

[canned laughter]

But seriously folks, there's a Boogie 1 x10" combo I'm considering, a Subway Rocket. Clips sound killer, and I've read good reviews.

Aside from a Marshall origin, this is one of the few real amps that is calling to me.

Seems like a good deal at $600 (especially with the going rate of a new boogie these days).

It's only 20 watts but people have said it can hang with a drummer, plus I already have a 1 x 12" boogie cab it could power. I don't need an amp but I'm finding it hard to pass up.

Let's take our first caller...

those are fun amps for sure and $600 seems like a good deal. reverb model or no?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      those are fun amps for sure and $600 seems like a good deal. reverb model or no?
      This appears to be the one with a presence instead. Reverb would be cool, especially if it was the spring kind.

Comment

I wouldn't think of talking you out of a good deal.

Comment

i say, hold out for a Reverb model. They are great amps, though.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
            I wouldn't think of talking you out of a good deal.
            I mean it's not a screaming deal, but some have gone for 7 bills on reverb recently

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            i say, hold out for a Reverb model. They are great amps, though.
            interesting. noted, thank you

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
              Filmed in front of a live studio audience, it's time once again for Talk Me Out of this Amp

[applause]

Yes I've got about 400 ways to make the same sound - modelers, tube amps, pedals. Even my farts are profiled

[canned laughter]

But seriously folks, there's a Boogie 1 x10" combo I'm considering, a Subway Rocket. Clips sound killer, and I've read good reviews.

Aside from a Marshall origin, this is one of the few real amps that is calling to me.

Seems like a good deal at $600 (especially with the going rate of a new boogie these days).

It's only 20 watts but people have said it can hang with a drummer, plus I already have a 1 x 12" boogie cab it could power. I don't need an amp but I'm finding it hard to pass up.

Let's take our first caller...
              Talk you out of it? No way!! I have owned my early pre reverb Rocket for a decade now, and it will never leave. Best grab and go small gig amp I have ever owned. Sounds HUGE miced in the front of the house also. Been gigged hard for many many years without a failuer.
              Dropped a WGS ET 10 in mine and it kills miced out front.
              Unmiced with a Boss DD 7 and a Stryman Blue Sky in the loop. https://youtu.be/wmn5MsaWWW4?si=ZJt4KXeS04eqCyNS
              Miced with an SM 57 at super low stage running only a delay and verb in the loop.

Miced at super low stage with only Delay and Verb in the loop.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

Talk you out of it? No way!! I have owned my early pre reverb Rocket for a decade now, and it will never leave. Best grab and go small gig amp I have ever owned.
                very cool to hear your input and the live clips. I appreciate it. I'm not able to immediately jump on it due to car crap that came up, but this is likely my next purchase. I found a great amp tech who used to work at Acoustic who could get it all dialed in if need be.

Comment

If it's something you like and have the funds (or can get them)...just pull the trigger I've lost out on so many great purchases over the years that I regret like **** because of procrastination. Nowadays I try not to think twice. End of the day a good tube amp is hard to beat. I do like variety personally though, which is why I dig SS & modeling stuff too. Bottom line I would'nt hold out/wait on any of them if I knew they're what I wanted. But that's just me in my present avatar. Life's too short
                  "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                  If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post

This appears to be the one with a presence instead. Reverb would be cool, especially if it was the spring kind.
                    I would rather have the presence; I can get reverb from a pedal if I need it that bad.

Comment

Thanks for having me on the show! They sound pretty amazing. Can you think of a good reason not to buy it?
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

That's not a bad deal on a nice Rocket . I see many going for around a grand now if they are really nice examples. Here is mine f4om lat night playing with a keyboard player and 2 acoustic unmiced. No PA here the only amplified instruments were my electric with the Rocket and the Casio keyboard running tge internal speakers. I'm running tge crunch channel with only a little verb and delay in the loop and playing my 08 Carvin SH 60. Never owned another small Amp that was better as a grab and go rig than this little Subwsy Rocket. https://youtu.be/ghlrBV94iTA?si=rd9M342YQMqQLXTx
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Here is a clip running the clean from last night with a Nobels OD1 for a little crunch and verb plus delay in the loop. No modeler and cab I have tried comes close, running like this live without a PA.
                          Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post
                            Thanks for having me on the show! They sound pretty amazing. Can you think of a good reason not to buy it?
                            You're very welcome. Can we show El Dunco some love? [crowd claps, whistles]

Mainly because I have a stable of amps in a man closet that all don't get played enough. Then when I do sit down and play I grab my modeler and some headphones. BUT, when I do play with other people, I find I don't have a good grab-and-go and this would be it.

I also have a feeling the tax man won't be kind this year.
                            Last edited by DankStar; 02-07-2024, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Done deal. Sounded super clear and clean. Still need to hook it up with the boogie cab I’ve got and some pedals. He threw in a pair of replacement tubes too. Ad text said presence but turns out it was the reverb model.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X