NAD - Boss Nextone Stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - Boss Nextone Stage

Pulled the trigger on the Nextone Stage 40 listed locally. For $250 w/ the GA-FC footswitch, it was a no-brainer. Check out what they both go for new. First observation, this thing is LOUD! Damn. LOL. I like the different power levels, .5w,half,max. There's also standby that works like standby on a tube amp. It's not a tube amp but solid-state w/ tube amp emulation.

There's the ability to connect it to a computer and fiddle with things in the Nextone Editor. Version 3 added some cool stuff. The first thing I did after checking it out was upgrading the firmware in the amp to version 3 and resetting it to factory. After that I started messing with it in the manual mode and then fiddled with some of the settings in the editor. A lot can be done in there down to the tube emulation bias and sag. It's really easy to dial in good sounds. Four different power amp emulations; 6V6, 6L6, EL84 and EL34. Reverb, delay (w/ tap) and tremolo are built in. Tremolo is accessed by holding down the delay and tap button together (or some sequence like that). So far I've tried 3 different overdrives with it and they all sound great with it; tubescreamer clone, klon clone and 5150 overdrive. Haven't tried any of my other pedals with it yet. May try my 3rd Dimension in the fx loop. Touch sensitivity is there on both channels. Roll back the guitar volume and it cleans right up. Can get some nice controlled feedback too. There's a nice feel to it.

The footswitch is great. One nice feature in version 3 is the Solo function. On the clean and lead channel, tap that channel button again for solo mode. The LED will blink indicating it's in that mode. Nice for a volume push. Tap it again to exit solo mode. There's a couple jacks for expression pedals and a Boss 5U pedal can be plugged in to the switch to control the tap tempo (which I will get for sure). Any momentary switch will probably work. The footswotch can also turn on/off the delay, reverb, fx loop, enable/disable boost (gain boost) and tone (fat) for each channel. They can be on for the lead channel but off for the clean channel, and vice versa. That goes for everything. I can have delay and tone on for the lead channel and off for the clean channel. Pretty cool behavior. I like that the footswitch work with any TRS cable rather than it being one that is connected to the switch.

I think the 12" speaker isn't quite broken in yet as there is some harshness on the top end. From what I've read from other owners, it's normal and will smooth out.
    Did I mention this thing is loud?​

It's not a heavy amp. Maybe 5lbs more than my Vox AV30 so still less than 30lbs. Size wise, it's small. Not quite an inch shorter and narrower than my Vox. Depth is the same. Nice and compact. Partial open back design.

Click image for larger version

Name:	91KK-sZJxuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	6269228

Click image for larger version

Name:	nextone-stage_T_790982-de08ee36b4c182fa5c4b27b1972270a0.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	6269229

never even heard of those. looks sick. congrats!

Comment

I like that a lot. Did I miss it in your post what is the max wattage?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        I like that a lot. Did I miss it in your post what is the max wattage?
        40 watts rating.

I forgot to mention it and editing/saving a post with anything but text sucks in this version of vBulletin.

Comment

I always wondered about these, as I've never tried one or seen one at a store. Now why would someone choose a Nextone over a Katana? I assume they overlap a bit.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I always wondered about these, as I've never tried one or seen one at a store. Now why would someone choose a Nextone over a Katana? I assume they overlap a bit.
            Slight overlap. The Katana has overall modeling from preamp onwards (like specific preamps such as the AC30, JCM800, 5150, etc.). Can save multiple presets, has more effects, etc. The Nextone series focuses on the power amp emulation/modeling with minimal of everything else. With the Editor software, things can be tweaked and saved in to the amp's clean/lead channels.

I can make what they call a "Liveset" and have the clean channel set up with a 6V6 power amp dialed in to sound like a DR as best I can and then the lead channel with a EL34 power amp and make it sound like a Marshall. Load that Liveset in the amp and now when I switch between channels, I'll have those settings. I can bypass what is saved internally turning off "Custom" by holding down the Channel Select button for a second or two.

I don't know how the editing is with the Katana but the feature set of the Nextone appeals to me more.

I really like the 6V6 and EL34. The 6L6 is nice too, pretty full and tighter. My Joyo Vintage Overdrive (TS clone) works great with this amp. I could walk out with just this amp and that pedal to do a gig tonight without any concerns. One of the tricks that I've seen mentioned in a couple review videos is to crank the master volume and use the channel volumes to control the levels. The amp comes alive that way and sounds/feels really natural.

Comment

The editing of the Katana is similar. You can set up Live Sets, but you also can add virtual pedals as well as preamp modeling.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The editing of the Katana is similar. You can set up Live Sets, but you also can add virtual pedals as well as preamp modeling.
                Right. No virtual pedals in this one. I can do some preamp EQ settings and such but it's pretty much just setting what is already there on the knobs and buttons and saving it in to a Live Set.. not much extra. Except setting the Solo mode volume and EQ. Can't do that on the amp itself, gotta go in the Editor to do that. I like what this one can do but I also love the simplicity out of the box. And the sound? Yeah, it's nice. It doesn't have as much gain as my Vox does but that's ok because I usually use an overdrive pedal to get more anyway. The clean tones I can get on this thing are amazing.

Comment

This talks about the version 3 updated I applied and the Nextone series overall.

With the Version 3 update, Nextone builds on the line's robust tone shaping and customization power. Learn to maximize its latest features.

Comment

Now why would someone choose a Nextone over a Katana? I assume they overlap a bit.
                    Nextone has way less gain than Katana to start with. Maybe the Crunch on the Katana can match on the Nextone. ErikH what's your thought on in using EL34 topology? Can you get JTM45, Plexi or JCM800 (I don't think so) level of gain?
                    Katana power section is "based" on EL34 tubes, on analog IC sockets (50w, 100w, head) or discrete components (Artist).
                    Nextone has 4x class AB analog sections (EL34, EL84, 6V6 and 6L6), but I don't know if it's on IC sockets or discrete components.

Comment

Nice. And you did get a killer price on that. Wonder why the owner sold it. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                        Nextone has way less gain than Katana to start with. Maybe the Crunch on the Katana can match on the Nextone. ErikH what's your thought on in using EL34 topology? Can you get JTM45, Plexi or JCM800 (I don't think so) level of gain?
                        Katana power section is "based" on EL34 tubes, on analog IC sockets (50w, 100w, head) or discrete components (Artist).
                        Nextone has 4x class AB analog sections (EL34, EL84, 6V6 and 6L6), but I don't know if it's on IC sockets or discrete components.
                        Yup. Can get JCM800 levels easy. That amp stock does not have a lot of gain. Compared to the 45 and Plexi, sure, but out of the box and no boosts or overdrives out front, it's not a lot compared to high gain amps of today. There is a boost function on each channel to give it more which works nice but I like hitting it with an overdrive.
                        I have no idea what insides look like. Sounds great though.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                          Nice. And you did get a killer price on that. Wonder why the owner sold it. Enjoy!
                          He said he got it in a trade deal with another amp and didn't need it. I honestly don't know if he knew what they go for new.

Comment

Yep the GA-FC is $125 alone so you got the amp for $125. Nice score.

Comment

I'd really like if Boss can make those amps in a mini head format, ala DV Mark: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	114
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	6269448

Comment

Working...
                              X