banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything like the Friedman IR-X...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything like the Friedman IR-X...

... but that's heavier-sounding?

Now hear me out. I don't mean to say the Friedman stuff can't sound heavy. But I'm more of a Rectifier guy than a modded-Marshall guy. So something along those lines?

I'm not sure if this belongs in the Amp section or the Pedal section.

I've been wanting to move to a tube-digital hybrid setup. I love the ability to play through IR's and headphones, and record direct with IR's. But I also want to be able to run into a tube poweramp and a cab to get some air moving if I want to. Right now, I'm using an HX Stomp for that, but I'd prefer it if the preamp was also tube.

So... any suggestions?

Thanks!​

AMT has a bunch of great sounding tube preamps.. (SS11, SS20 etc)
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
      AMT has a bunch of great sounding tube preamps.. (SS11, SS20 etc)
      But no all-in-one solution. I see they have an IR loader, tho. But I'd rather have it all in one box.

Comment

isn't the carvin x100b based on a boogie, and they have that one giant tube pedal (which is very reasonably priced). to me the carvin can get buzzy (OD channel. cleans are out of this world IMO). but at the same time, they are solid nice amps (or in this case, a preamp). for $329 might be worth experimenting: https://carvinaudio.com/products/x1

It's not going to have the same IR flexibility but it does have a cab sim, or you could use the stomp for the IR part
        Last edited by DankStar; 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM.

Comment

It Would be nice if someone came up with a more flexible preamp/amp interface. Were you could play with the tone stack, add components, change tubes, add FET, chips, EQs.

i.e., What would a Fender Twin preamp sound like if I added 3 FET gain stages, Marshall presence controls, and a 5-band MB EQ?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            It Would be nice if someone came up with a more flexible preamp/amp interface. Were you could play with the tone stack, add components, change tubes, add FET, chips, EQs.

i.e., What would a Fender Twin preamp sound like if I added 3 FET gain stages, Marshall presence controls, and a 5-band MB EQ?
            Are there any component-model-based modeling systems that do this? Seems like it would be a great avenue for modelers, letting wannabe amp builders explore their ideas without getting zapped.
            Take it to the limit
            Everybody to the limit
            Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I think this is the concept behind Bluguitar Amp X.

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

Are there any component-model-based modeling systems that do this? Seems like it would be a great avenue for modelers, letting wannabe amp builders explore their ideas without getting zapped.
                Getting zapped is part of the journey.

Comment

Don't let the brand name fool you. This has ****loads of face-melting gain. The "nutube" made by Korg/Vox actually is a real dual-triode like a 12AX7 just in a modern chip-like format. It is US style (Mesa/Randall/Peavey) kinda gain. Though not an exact clone of any of those amps. Can be used in front or in an amp's fx loop as a preamp. Also has a built in IR-out if required.

On paper it ticks all your boxes. I have three of these pedals (This one plus the Plexi-type one & the Mystic Edge) and they're all legit with a definite 'tubey' tone/feel. The built in IR sounds great. Of course you can always hook it up to an external IR loader like a Two-Notes or something if you prefer. I personally think that's unnecessary & the one they have is more than usable for anything
                  Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-09-2024, 06:20 PM.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I like all those options, but I meant more along the lines of a one-box-solution where I could have a cool tube Metal preamp as well as the IR loader in there. Otherwise, I could just use any old preamp into my HX Stomp, but I kinda want to retire anyway because the input jack is getting kinda fiddly at times, and I've never liked how limited the input headroom is.

Comment

Maybe the Victory V4 Kraken might be more your thing.
                      Originally posted by dominus
                      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                        I like all those options, but I meant more along the lines of a one-box-solution where I could have a cool tube Metal preamp as well as the IR loader in there. Otherwise, I could just use any old preamp into my HX Stomp, but I kinda want to retire anyway because the input jack is getting kinda fiddly at times, and I've never liked how limited the input headroom is.
                        Have you looked at the ToneX pedal?
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If it does'nt really need to physically have a tube in it but just sounds/feels really tubey..maybe a Laney Loudpedal? I think it has all the IR output's & things ..and it's plenty gainy for any kind of 80's/ modern metal.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                          X