banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well that was fun (first redplate tube experience)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well that was fun (first redplate tube experience)

So I thought I was doing my mesa subway rocket a favor by buying a brand new matched set of EL84s. Popped them in and it sounded weird. Looked at the tubes and one was glowing red like a baboon’s arse and smelled like burnt pubes. Turned it off and now it’s gotta go to my tech.

My guess is the previous owner (of course the guy I bought it from only obtained it in a trade or something) changed the factory bias to some other thing to meet his needs and of course didn’t tell anyone or put a note inside the amp. Either that or one of the brand new tubes was bad.

I’ll find out and report back but I swear if I buy another amp it’s going to be a Quilter. Eff tubes! Nothing but headaches and trips to a tech. For dang sure not buying someone else’s used tube POS. I should have just bought the stupid Bugera 22 watt head when it was on sale for $325. I’d be playing it now (and it had the infinium feature, literally would take any set of tubes).
    Last edited by DankStar; 03-09-2024, 11:35 PM.

Sorry to hear. Hope tings get sorted out soon (& cheaply). The Quilter is probably a good idea though
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

The description of the sight and smell made me chuckle so hard I woke up my partner
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
        Sorry to hear. Hope tings get sorted out soon (& cheaply). The Quilter is probably a good idea though
        That 202 is looking nice

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post
          The description of the sight and smell made me chuckle so hard I woke up my partner
          glad I could be of service

Comment

did you buy the mesa spec set? which brand?

quilter is fine, but ill stick with my current hoard of tone

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              did you buy the mesa spec set? which brand?

quilter is fine, but ill stick with my current hoard of tone
              I got a matched set of Mesa EL84s from sweet water. I think the rocket was listed in the list of amps but hopefully I didn’t buy the wrong ones.

Comment

How do you know what burnt pubes smell like?
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

JJ pubes ?

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post

I’ll find out and report back but I swear if I buy another amp it’s going to be a Quilter. Eff tubes! Nothing but headaches and trips to a tech.
                    My JC120 and M80 Pro are very familiar with the inside of my amp tech's shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

My JC120 and M80 Pro are very familiar with the inside of my amp tech's shop.
                      Good point, gear don’t last forever

Comment

it can last a very long time, but itll need some love from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          it can last a very long time, but itll need some love from time to time
                          Yep. My '72 Quad Reverb, on the other hand, was gigged very hard and abused. That amp has been in the shop once in all of its years and still sounds great. I don't think it is tubes vs. solid state; I think a lot of it is the luck of the draw combined with dumb luck. My guess is my Fender was not built on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon and has never seen a power surge. Dumb luck.

Comment

old handwired amps tend to be a bit more resilient due to the build, but a pc board (tube or ss) can be very reliable too.

Comment

Yeah, there’s a reason bands have entire backup rigs, be them kempers or boogies

Comment

Working...
                              X