HARLEY BENTON 15W VALVE AMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HARLEY BENTON 15W VALVE AMP

Anybody any experience of these?.Sold in the US as Monoprice and based, I understand on an old Laney design.

An acquaintance of mine of senior years is dipping his toe into the electric guitar scene late in life. He is a competentent acoustic camp fire guitarist but is also keen on jazz.

His budget is limited and he is currently dithering between a Harley B HB35 and Donner 335 clones at around £210 . The second hand amp market seems pretty dead at the momement.He is primarily a bedroom guitarist and I have suggested something conservative like a Marshal MG30GFX at around £150. He seems keen on the HB valve amp however though I'm not sure it will best suit his needs.

I would recommend just about anything but the Marshall MG series. They just don’t sound good enough to justify spending the money on them that wouldn’t be better spent elsewhere. They’re not even good for solid state when you know how good solid state can get and with even the more affordable modelling technology today far surpassing the MG in sound quality, there’s just no point.

I get they aren’t necessarily as terrible as they’re made out to be, but they really need a good cabinet for that to be the case in which case if he already has one, most anything else would be much better and even more so if he doesn’t. What are his needs that you don’t think the HB will suit?
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I have a 16 year old Marshall MG30 DFX which has given me good service. around the house over the years.I bought it second hand at a bargain price around 10 years ago. Thought the HB would be a bit over powering as a bedroom amp, But you are probably right about it being OK for Jazz. I think the Blues Junior, which is similar in many ways to the HB is often a recommended amp by Jazz guitarists.

Comment

The blues JR is always a winner in the Budget vs. Tone ,category in my opinion, there are a lot of other options, even way cheaper, but it sounds very good in every situation, it's a workhorse, and in the used market you can find it quite often

Comment

Originally posted by Gstring View Post
          I have a 16 year old Marshall MG30 DFX which has given me good service. around the house over the years.I bought it second hand at a bargain price around 10 years ago. Thought the HB would be a bit over powering as a bedroom amp, But you are probably right about it being OK for Jazz. I think the Blues Junior, which is similar in many ways to the HB is often a recommended amp by Jazz guitarists.
          I could not recommend the MG less for jazz. They put even less effort into giving it a decent clean channel. The HB being low wattage tube will likely have a pleasing clean sound at most volumes in a bedroom and only get better as he turns it up. I think he has the right idea. I’m surprised he isn’t looking for a good deal on a Roland JC.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Another cheap amp I've often seen used by Jazz guitarists live is the Roland Cube

Comment

I have the 5 watt version and it's a great value. I lowered the value of the treble bleed capacitor and installed a 12AT7 on mine.

Comment

If the guy likes Jazz and Clean - a small Roland JC22 would be the way to go.

But one of the little Boss Katanas would not be a bad move either if he wants to play all sorts of things.

Valve Schmalve - good sound is good sound. It doesn't require tubes.

That said, a little HK Tubemeister head (would need a cab) with variable wattage would be great, or as mentioned, a Blues Jr.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                  I have the 5 watt version and it's a great value. I lowered the value of the treble bleed capacitor and installed a 12AT7 on mine.
                  I'd get rid of EVERY treble bleed cap, I cut it off of every amp I have

Comment

couldn't go wrong with a katana, mustang, or a cube.

if he wants tubes the monoprice thing would probably be a fun little amp. they basically give them away so it's not like he's going to be out a lot of coin trying it out.
                    Last edited by DankStar; 03-12-2024, 09:05 AM.

Comment

I had an MG30 that I used for everything from Jazz to Metal, and it sounded fantastic. Back in the Tipton/Downes days, JP used the MGs in the recording studio. Many of your favorite JP tones are an MG. The cool thing is I passed it on to my friend's kid about 15 years ago, and he has dragged it all over the country from college to his first job in Oregon, and the amp is still kicking ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                        I had an MG30 that I used for everything from Jazz to Metal, and it sounded fantastic. Back in the Tipton/Downes days, JP used the MGs in the recording studio. Many of your favorite JP tones are an MG. The cool thing is I passed it on to my friend's kid about 15 years ago, and he has dragged it all over the country from college to his first job in Oregon, and the amp is still kicking ass.
                        I just saw Hirax live last Sunday night and Katon has a relatively new/young guitarist in the band. I swear he was using an MG head (it was too small to be one of marshall's tube amps and too boxy-shaped to be a valvestate), which I've never actually seen a band use. He was mic'ed up on a 4x12 and he sounded pretty good!
                        Last edited by DankStar; 03-12-2024, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post

I just saw Hirax live last Sunday night and Katon has a relatively new/young guitarist in the band. I swear he was using an MG head (it was too small to be one of marshall's tube amps and too boxy-shaped to be a valvestate), which I've never actually seen a band use. He was mic'ed up on a 4x12 and he sounded pretty good!
                          Tipton makes a MG sound just fine

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Tipton makes a MG sound just fine

No disrespect to the man. He's a legend. But that vid is certainly not the best he's ever sounded.
                            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-12-2024, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I love the Blues Junior, personally. But I wouldn't call it a very versatile amp.

It's kinda hard to conrol for bedroom levels. It gets loud pretty quick.

At moderaly loud levels, it sounds great. It sounds fantastic clean, and takes pedals incredibly well to get it sounding workable from super clean all the way to high-gain (with pedals). Though, if I must be honest, it does benefit from a speaker upgrade.

At band levels, it's not clean, and it's a very specific sound. It's not a Metal amp, and it's certainly too dirty for clean styles.

That being said, I'd personally choose a Blues Junior and find a way to tame the volume perhaps with a pedal or something over other random lower-end solid-state, modeling, or cheapie tube amps. As someone who is into gear, I personally find a Blues Junior with pedals way more fun than those amps that have so-so inbuilt models and effects.
                              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-12-2024, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X