Removing or thinning out heavy doping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing or thinning out heavy doping

hiya'll..... I once heard that one could either remove or greatly thin out a heavily doped speaker, w/o reconing, of course.....

How might you do this, & safely, w/o trashing the surround? Acetone or some other compound? Pour it on & let the speaker play, or even trying to peel it off with the aid of said compounds?
    Thnx ॐ​
    Last edited by zozoe; 05-13-2024, 09:57 PM.

I would do some research before you just dump paint thinner on a speaker. Acetone should do it, but it would be very easy to go overboard. Best to test it out on a cheapo speaker or two that doesn't mean much to you. I'd say put a small amount on a rag, and rub it on the speaker surround. Keep in mind that the stuff evaporates quickly, but don't use that as an excuse to put too much on the rag.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I can't understand the goal of doing this. The amount of sensitivity you would reclaim removing the dope is minimal, and the probability of damaging the speaker is high. Also, dope is better for hard rock/metal players. Are you playing Jazz, Country, Blues, or some type of cleaner style?

Comment

Comment

led zepplin

Comment

If it's a cheap speaker , move on to one you like

If it's an expensive speaker sell it and move on to the one you like

Gaffing up a speaker in the name of science is ridiculous

Buy or trade for the model you want
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
              X