I am going in raw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

That’s because those don’t work well in the loop. Well, a clean boost would for a kick in volume for leads but the effects loop sits between the preamp and power amp so better suited for modulation and time based effects.
    Yes. Thanks. I tried anyway. I thought maybe some kind of light distortion could work as an extra gain stage, or the right combination of compression and EQ in the loop could get the smooth sustain I was looking for. Got close but it was never good enough. Whereas any decent tube screamer or even an EQ pedal with a little high mid boost in front gives me exactly what I need, but then I also need to turn on the delay, which I'm not doing live while I'm doing vocals, which is why after hemming and hawing about it I got an HX Effects a few years ago, and now I can do everything in 4CM with one footswitch at a time. It's fine. The difference is really subtle. But every time I plug straight into the amp, everything feels better, and I remember what I'm giving up on the compromise.
    Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

If I could get around needing a noise gate, and a boost or OD in front for lead parts, I would be way happier straight in. I've just never found a good lead sound putting any kind of boost, od, or compression in the loop.
      The Carvin has a built-in boost I have been using the past few weeks

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

The Carvin has a built-in boost I have been using the past few weeks
        The VHT has a great tube boost stage as well, I just always leave it on because I love the way it sounds. When I get to crank up I actually don't need it, especially with two guitars. I usually play and record quietly at home, but maybe the solution is just to record with a cranked amp and use the boost for leads, like Fryette intended. Really make friends with the neighbors.
        Take it to the limit
        Everybody to the limit
        Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

my Carvin has a Diode based lead channel called "SOAK"
          its like having a built in DS-1
          as that is exactly what it sounds like

my H&K Tubemeister
          has a lead channel and a boost
          boosted clean is just what you think it is
          the lead channel sounds like the clean with a DS1
          the lead with the boost sounds like the MT2
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

This thread inspired me to mess around more with the loop on the VHT and see if I could finagle something into a lead channel entirely in the loop using the HX Effects, rather than hitting the front with a drive. I'm still tweaking but there are a couple of dirt pedal models that are full-range enough to actually use. Right now the loop is gate > parametric EQ cutting a little high end and boosting mids around 600Hz > Alpaca Rouge (Red Llama overdrive model) > delay, and I have the EQ, OD, and delay all on one switch, so it's an on/off lead effect that sounds great through either the dirty or clean channel of the amp. Teemah (Timmy model) also sounded good. This way, I can enjoy the extra definition and nuance of plugging straight into the amp without giving up a sound I use a lot. I'm back to going in raw.
            Take it to the limit
            Everybody to the limit
            Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Seems like mt2 in the loop would work

Alternative preamp
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Did you post any mixes from the studio sesh?

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                  Did you post any mixes from the studio sesh?
                  Yes I posted the first mix in this thread

Comment

About the only thing that I would add would be a compressor in front, not the loop. I find that I like the sound of true singles through a compressor just a bit better than straight in.
                    That Carvin will get the job done. What are you going to be using for a cab? Or will you go direct into the board?

Comment

Originally posted by NotDemanic View Post
                      About the only thing that I would add would be a compressor in front, not the loop. I find that I like the sound of true singles through a compressor just a bit better than straight in.
                      That Carvin will get the job done. What are you going to be using for a cab? Or will you go direct into the board?
                      No Carvin in the studio. The AC30, JCM 2000, and a clean signal before the guitar the board for reampping if needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X