Your favorite amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    I've never owned a Rectifier, but my favorite amp will forever be a Mesa Dual Rectifier. Preferrably a Rev F or a newer Multiwatt. I don't care about cleans or crunch. I just want that Modern Red Recto sound.

Out of the amps that I've owned, my favorite has been the 5150III. Man, that amp is killer. Incredible tones out of the box, no boost needed. Those are truly the "best" (or at least easiest to get a good tone from) current Metal amps.
    Funny, my Blue Angel has a Dual Recto badge on it, but sounds nothing like the other ones.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Funny, my Blue Angel has a Dual Recto badge on it, but sounds nothing like the other ones.
      The Badlander is also kinda like that, just in the opposite directon of the Blue Angel, LOL. I suppose the Blue Angel is part of the Rectifier series because it has rectifier tubes? Don't know how related it may be to Pushed mode or Vintage mode on a "normal" Recto. Rectos are more versatile than what people give them credit for, IMO. They've also got some decent mid gain sounds to them. But I've also tried the Badlaner, and it didn't sound anything like a "normal" Rectifier to me either.

Comment

I've never owned a Rectifier, but my favorite amp will forever be a Mesa Dual Rectifier. Preferrably a Rev F or a newer Multiwatt. I don't care about cleans or crunch. I just want that Modern Red Recto sound.
        In 1994 I played a Dual Rectifier (don't know the revision) and it was the only amp I've ever heard that sounded exactly like a broken in 1968 Marshall Plexi 100 head and cab, but it didn't do cleans while a Marshall does just by changing your pick attack.

Comment

The Badlander is also kinda like that, just in the opposite directon of the Blue Angel, LOL. I suppose the Blue Angel is part of the Rectifier series because it has rectifier tubes? Don't know how related it may be to Pushed mode or Vintage mode on a "normal" Recto. Rectos are more versatile than what people give them credit for, IMO. They've also got some decent mid gain sounds to them. But I've also tried the Badlaner, and it didn't sound anything like a "normal" Rectifier to me either.
          Well, the BA uses a tube and a SS rectifier in parallel, I believe. But it is a non-master volume amp, with both 6v6 and EL84 power tubes.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My favorite amp used to be a Rickenbacker RG 180 or something like that. Nowadays its my Orange bass amp. Ideally it would be some type of Marshall head and a 4× 10.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

In 1994 I played a Dual Rectifier (don't know the revision) and it was the only amp I've ever heard that sounded exactly like a broken in 1968 Marshall Plexi 100 head and cab, but it didn't do cleans while a Marshall does just by changing your pick attack.
              Rev C maybe. It’s been described as the brightest of the early 2ch rectifiers (and having the worst clean channel). Mine is a 2 channel from the 90s also and it’s also one of ny favourite amps. Incredibly versatile.
              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

My favorite amp is a Rocktron Voodu Valve preamp and a Peavey Classic 60/60 tube power amp with a 4x12" cab. It can push some air but it sounds also very good at bedroom level (as quiet as my Katana at 0.5w).

Click image for larger version

Name:	0473BB2B-C076-402D-86C2-54F7AC837724_1_105_c copy.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	6283448

Nothing boutique, nothing high class, but when I'm shopping to replace it I'm always coming to the conclusion that it will be too expensive and I will have to make some compromises. It's an hard to dial preamp (because of the 2-band pre-eq and the 4-band parametric post-eq) but you can dial any tone you want (clean, blues, pop, classic rock, hard rock, '80s metal), and all recallable with midi. Probably a Synergy rig could replace it but it's freaking expensive.

Based on the amp models I play with, I would really like to have a Cornford MK50.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                  My favorite amp is a Rocktron Voodu Valve preamp and a Peavey Classic 60/60 tube power amp with a 4x12" cab. It can push some air but it sounds also very good at bedroom level (as quiet as my Katana at 0.5w).

Click image for larger version  Name:	0473BB2B-C076-402D-86C2-54F7AC837724_1_105_c copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	6283448

Nothing boutique, nothing high class, but when I'm shopping to replace it I'm always coming to the conclusion that it will be too expensive and I will have to make some compromises. It's an hard to dial preamp (because of the 2-band pre-eq and the 4-band parametric post-eq) but you can dial any tone you want (clean, blues, pop, classic rock, hard rock, '80s metal), and all recallable with midi. Probably a Synergy rig could replace it but it's freaking expensive.

Based on the amp models I play with, I would really like to have a Cornford MK50.
                  You mentioned it when we were talking pre-EQ right? I’d love to hear the sounds you get from the Voodu.
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

I'd loved to show you but I don't have any mic to record it right now.

Yes pre-eq where I cut the bass and boost/cut the mids a bit depending of the "channel". That's how I can raise the bass without sounding muddy.

I'm also dialling the input gain level depending if I'm using a Les Paul or a Strat, just to push the input tube a bit more for single-coils.

I created 4 "channels" plus each one has a solo variation (adding a bit of gain, some bass and some mid for single notes and some delay).
                    1- Clean "channel" is based on class A topology. It sounds a bit like a mix between a Fender clean and a Mesa clean.
                    2- Crunch "channel" is based on class A topology, It sounds a bit like a JTM-45.
                    3- Drive "channel" is based on a low-tube high-gain class B topology without variac. It sounds a bit like a modded Plexi (think brown sound).
                    4- Metal "channel" is based on a high-tube high-gain class B topology with some variac. I based the eq from the Mesa 5-band graphic eq frequencies (the Q might not be the same). It sounds a bit like a 5150 (maybe as I never had such a high gain amp).

I think part of the sound is the Peavey tube power amp, it has four 6L6 and three 12AX7 valves in it. But I don't drive it that much because it's very loud.

It doesn't sound fizzy at all as I can fine-tune the parametric eq to remove it.
                    It also reacts very well to guitar volume, I can go from high-gain to almost clean (edge of breaking up) on the drive "channel" no problem. A the flick of the switch on the Les Paul.

I will try to record the Voodoo Valve by itself some day, adding power amp simulation and IR in the daw, or from my Atomic Firebox.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                      I'd loved to show you but I don't have any mic to record it right now.

Yes pre-eq where I cut the bass and boost/cut the mids a bit depending of the "channel". That's how I can raise the bass without sounding muddy.

I'm also dialling the input gain level depending if I'm using a Les Paul or a Strat, just to push the input tube a bit more for single-coils.

I created 4 "channels" plus each one has a solo variation (adding a bit of gain, some bass and some mid for single notes and some delay).
                      1- Clean "channel" is based on class A topology. It sounds a bit like a mix between a Fender clean and a Mesa clean.
                      2- Crunch "channel" is based on class A topology, It sounds a bit like a JTM-45.
                      3- Drive "channel" is based on a low-tube high-gain class B topology without variac. It sounds a bit like a modded Plexi (think brown sound).
                      4- Metal "channel" is based on a high-tube high-gain class B topology with some variac. I based the eq from the Mesa 5-band graphic eq frequencies (the Q might not be the same). It sounds a bit like a 5150 (maybe as I never had such a high gain amp).

I think part of the sound is the Peavey tube power amp, it has four 6L6 and three 12AX7 valves in it. But I don't drive it that much because it's very loud.

It doesn't sound fizzy at all as I can fine-tune the parametric eq to remove it.
                      It also reacts very well to guitar volume, I can go from high-gain to almost clean (edge of breaking up) on the drive "channel" no problem. A the flick of the switch on the Les Paul.

I will try to record the Voodoo Valve by itself some day, adding power amp simulation and IR in the daw, or from my Atomic Firebox.
                      I look forward to it. Great description! Very cool.

Comment

Can't pick one. I have'nt found an amp that "ticks all the boxes" for me and if I had, I'd have just the one amp not the 10+ that I have..

Variety is my thing
                        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

oh i have probably close to 20 amps, but i just use that old deluxe more than anything else by far. i paid $600 for it, not the high prices people pay these days

Comment

I also tend to get really different sounding amps (from each other), again cuz what's the point of having 10 amps that all sound the same..

Although I have been toying lately with the idea of another Laney Ironheart (either 60W or 120W) for backup...maybe w/ one running EL34's & 6L6's in the other..

Ironheart's are definitely my most popular amps. I have three (120W, 15W Studio & 60W IRF/SS) and might soon have four if I do get another 60/120W tube head.

Laney started making them in the UK since the beginning of this year (Black Country Custom's) which basically just gives them an excuse to knock the price up & makes it a great time to scoop up the Chinese ones being phased out cuz they're the exact same thing.

And as with all modern high gain heads Ironheart's are 100 percent mass-manufactured/pcb based amps like your TV, Washing Machine & iPhone (all pretty well/reliably made in Chinese factory's ) ..so I don't forsee a huge leap up in quality/tone shifting manufacturing from China to the UK.

It will get a bunch of previously reticent moron's to start queuing up for them now though

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                              And as with all modern high gain heads Ironheart's are 100 percent mass-manufactured/pcb based amps like your TV, Washing Machine & iPhone (all pretty well/reliably made in Chinese factory's ) ..so I don't forsee a huge leap up in quality/tone shifting manufacturing from China to the UK.

It will get a bunch of previously reticent moron's to start queuing up for them now though
                              I ain't never seen a Washing Machine [sic] with tubes nor an iPhone with through hole components. That being said I haven't noticed a quality difference between Chinese and UK. My guess is they wanted to market a few of their products away from the lower brackets (more prestige) as well as support the UK economy. They didn't end up charging too much more for them either. When I was looking at Ironhearts a few years back was right about when they made the change. I didn't end up getting one though, although they were all pretty great amps. Ended up needing the money elsewhere.
                              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Did'nt say that had tubes (?) just that they were mass produced like washing machines, TV's etc and PCB based. So I did'nt forsee much of a difference in anything really by shifting manufacture to the UK.

I'm pretty sure the PCB boards, tranny's etc will still be MiC. In fact I'll be surprised if anything inside (or outside) changes except fot the plaque that says "Black country Custom - Made in UK" which is what will make all the difference to a lot of idiots.

Its marketing ...pure and simple and yeah the prices is just a couple of 100 USD higher now ( for EXACTLY the same thing -plus the all-important BCC plaque) but I'm betting it will start creeping upwards pretty quick if sales increase (and they will). Certainly an Ironheart Mk II will be close to twice the price now...

Which is why I think this will be a great time to scoop up another MiC Ironheart before they're all gone. (I do love the Ironheart by the way...imo it produces some of the best lead tones I've ever heard out of anything @ any price & is no slouch in the rhythm dept. either)

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X