No announcement yet.

Your favorite amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has to be the one that I have four and counting of, here in a pretty simple setup:

I own several other amps, including some rather coveted ones, and even though I some days think it has to be the Soldano that is my favourite, there just isn't anything that quite captures the ADA MP-1 – and it is the sound that still feels most like my own.

Comment

I played for years a marshall valvestate 40w. I know it is not the best amp on earth but its sound still ringing in my ears. It was just perfect in mid 90s. With the guitar straight in it or driven by an Ada mp-1 it was my amp of choice for more than 15 years. Nowadays, at home, as a bedroom amp, my fav is orange crush 20. The prs mt15 for small gigs and evh 5150 with el34 valves for larger venues are the right match with my playing

Comment

Comment

My favorite that I own is my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe v4. All stock. I would love to try a PRS DGT 15,
          -Butch

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

In 1994 I played a Dual Rectifier (don't know the revision) and it was the only amp I've ever heard that sounded exactly like a broken in 1968 Marshall Plexi 100 head and cab, but it didn't do cleans while a Marshall does just by changing your pick attack.
            In what mode? Pushed? I think Pushed is the most Plexi-ish.

Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-22-2024, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Favorite amp? My old Boogie head - a Mark II, one of the very first. Randy Smith made it for me when he was still building them at home.
              Little monster is at its best through Celestions. For many, many years I gigged it through a 1980 Marshall 4x12 loaded with G12-65s.
              Retired it from active duty in the mid-90s when I switched to a rack system for my touring rig. But it's still the amp I know best.
              At that point we'd done over 3,000 sets & sessions together. Great sounding and built like a tank, bulletproof reliable on the road.

It remains my benchmark for great feel at volume, and is still the amp I use to evaluate my guitar acquisitions.
              I learned long ago not to try out guitars through the Triaxis preamp in my rack, since that makes everything sound fabulous.
              The Mk II is less forgiving, an unvarnished picture that points up the strengths and weaknesses of any axe.

My favorite sound, though? That's the Mesa Triaxis that's been the heart of my tone for decades.
              Incredibly good sounding and very versatile. It's everything I could want tonewise, a universe unto itself.
              With a Mesa power amp, through Celestions, it's killer. Wattage and cabs have varied, but not that basic formula.
              A lot of gear has come and gone in my rack over the years. But the Tri has never left, not since the day it went in.

To be honest, my touring days are pretty much in the past. The rack rig seldom leaves the house anymore.
              I love having world class tone on tap at home, though. Puts a smile on my face every time I plug in.

Acquired a modest stable of amps over the years, ranging from a '55 Magnatone combo to a 2014 Friedman head.
              Mostly taking the Friedman with me these days; it does hot-British better than any Marshall I ever owned.
              When something vintagey is called for, I've got a blackface Bassman that Billy Zoom modded to blonde 6G6-B specs.

Also have a vintage Fender tiltback 2x12 to go with it, part of a great pawnshop score back around 2015.
              The guy had a '66 Bandmaster he said was fried, selling for parts. I paid $300 for it, including the cab.
              The only problem turned out to be a blown speaker. Probably my second-best used-gear deal ever.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                In what mode? Pushed? I think Pushed is the most Plexi-ish.

There's no way I can remember the mode from 30 years ago. But the matching cab was probably more than half the sound.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	22575-l.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	6284244

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220614_170350.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	6284245 love'em !!!!

Comment