banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matching Speakers with Amps (Wattage question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching Speakers with Amps (Wattage question)

Hi all.

I was wondering: How many watts can a speaker cab handle if it's loaded with a 60 watt speaker and a 30 watt speaker? I was thinking of pairing an Eminence Red Fang with a Celestion V30 in my Marshall and Vox cabs.

If I were to do this, would the cab be 90watts? 60? 30?

More importantly, would it sound good?

Thanks a bunch, gents.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Re: Matching Speakers with Amps (Wattage question)

That would be a 60 watt cab. As I understand it the power is distributed equally between the speakers, so the cab's capacity is the power of the lowest-rated speaker multiplied by the number of speakers - in this case 30x2=60.

Comment

Wait, don't you have to take the square root of PI x the ohm rating of all the speakers / the original k rating of a 1959 PAF?

Damn....I forget.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

Thanks Simon.

Very funny Jeff.

Do you guys think that the V38 and Red Fang would get along in a 2x12 while being driven by a Mesa 50:50?

Should I just go with the tried and true V30/G12H30 combo in my cabs?
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Despite it's name- the Celestion V30 is rated at 60 watts as per Celestion-
          " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Originally posted by marvar
            Despite it's name- the Celestion V30 is rated at 60 watts as per Celestion-
            I was assuming the Red Fang was the 30w speaker Benjy was talking about. If that's a 60, then the cab would be 120w, as the V30 is indeed a 60w speaker.

V30/G12H30 would yield a 60w cab.

Comment

isnt the red fang 30w?

if so then i wouldnt put more than 60w thru it. in theory its a 90w cab since 30+60=90w but since if you are running two similar impedance speakers in parallel then the power is fairly evenly split 60w will split down to 30w per speaker.
              having said that, i used to run a 60w v30 and a 30w g12h in my 100w twin and never had a problem. if you hear the speaker starting to fart out, turn the amp down

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                isnt the red fang 30w?

if so then i wouldnt put more than 60w thru it. in theory its a 90w cab since 30+60=90w but since if you are running two similar impedance speakers in parallel then the power is fairly evenly split 60w will split down to 30w per speaker.
                having said that, i used to run a 60w v30 and a 30w g12h in my 100w twin and never had a problem. if you hear the speaker starting to fart out, turn the amp down
                I have a 60 watt Marshall combo, and I use 2x12 greenbacks (my speaker of choice), which are rated at 25 watts each, however, my amp rarely goes past half way up on the volume. The PA does the rest of the work-
                Remember that most speaker mfg's underrate their stuff, I suppose for reliability/liability reasons. I've seen lot's of guys w/100 watt heads running 4x12 greenbacks with no problems.
                " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

25x4=100 should be fine

most speakers are under rated, but many tube amps are as well, especially after new tubes and biasing.

Comment

Working...
                  X