hybrid amps (AVT n stuff) please educate me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hybrid amps (AVT n stuff) please educate me

hey folks! i know hybrid amps like the AVT , which i also play quite often, is a combination of SS n tube. but how does this hybrid technology work? which part is SS and which part is tube?

thanks as always for educating.
    On Munky of Korn:

munky.. they got respect for him.. he's the jimi hendrix of our era

Re: hybrid amps (AVT n stuff) please educate me

The preamp is tube, well mostly from what I can tell, they usually have one 12AX7 Tube in the preamp. However, the rest is solid state. As for how it works...no idea
    The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
    And Here on Bandcamp!
    Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

Usually the preamp tube plays a minor role as well, because itīs often run at low voltages where it doesnīt really do anything but look good

Canīt remember which one it was, but Iīm certain that there used to be a Valvestate head a long time ago (>10 yrs) where you could actually remove the tube and hear no difference
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
        Canīt remember which one it was, but Iīm certain that there used to be a Valvestate head a long time ago (>10 yrs) where you could actually remove the tube and hear no difference
        rotflmao
        Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
        Marshall Mods

Comment

I have a Fender Cyber Twin. It has two 12ax7 (spelling??) tubes as a preamp. I think this gives some improvement in sound over other solid state amps. However, you are not getting a full on tube amp by any stretch of the imagination. Don't think that any hybrid is going to sound like a Marshall or Krank. I got mine because the price was right and it had a wide array of clean sounds.
          "Faster than a laser bullet
          Louder than an atom bomb"

Comment

I got an AVT. Kills the Marshall MG and I love the tone. Obviously it's not a full tube amp but its better than pure SS.
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Whilst hybrid amps arn't actually REAL tube amps, out of all the tube pre-amp/ss power amps I've played through/heard, the distortion has sounded much smoother than the straight up transistor amps I've encounter.

Perhaps it IS all a marketing gimmick but tonally I wouldn't exactly jump at classing hyrbid amps in the same league as their solid-state cousins.

Comment

an AVT sounds better to me than an MG (some people prefer MGs over AVTs though).

however i have to say AVT hybrids are -nothing- like their full tube, more expensive counterparts most of the time.

Comment

the tubes for the most part are just a replacement for a clipping diode. allows for a bit smoother operation and thats why its not THAT fizzy sounding

Comment

Working...
                  X