8 or 4 OHM switch...What does it do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 or 4 OHM switch...What does it do?

I just got my first tube amp and in the back it has a 8ohm and 4 ohm switch in the back, what does this do?

Re: 8 or 4 OHM switch...What does it do?

sets the output rating resistance of the head so that it can match your cabinet.
    Make sure it's set to whatever the cabinet is.

Rock On ~ Kac
    ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
    2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
    Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

thanks alot man, well it's a combo amp if I set it to 4ohm will it give me half the power or something or is it's use only for a cab?

Comment

it's not a half power switch...you set the impedence of the amp to match the impedence for whatever speaker(s) you are using...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

so...what did you get?
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I got a ed giller hand made plexi variation tube amp combo, 50 watts with a eminence 121 12' speaker with two channels (footswitch) and effects loop, the sound............Holy crap!!!! seriously holy crap I just got it last night so It would be dumb of me to give a full review but in two weeks Ill have sound clips and pictures (its painted all white with black cloth looks nice and classy) ed gave me a part in making it he asked and asked and its to my specs. I only paid 800, but thats cheap considering, you have to hear it man!!

Comment

sounds cool!

As for the 4/8 ohm switch, leave it set to 8 as is...if you ever wanted to run it through a 4x12 or any other cab you have the option of running it with a 4 or 8 ohm cab...thats when you'll need that switch!

Comment

Ya if it has an extention cab plug for sure you could hook up a second 8 ohm cab.... which should mean you switch the switch to 4 ohm.... if i understand it right... but this stuff still confuses me so double check with the guy who made the amp

Comment

Working...
                X