What are some Marshall 18watt Clones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some Marshall 18watt Clones?

Hey all, I was wondering what are some of the Marshall 18 watt clones being made right now? Are there any for less then $1000 dollars? I tried one out the other day and the tone was incredible, but the Marshall price tag was a bit too much...a bit WAY too much. Thanks!

-Corbic
    The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
    And Here on Bandcamp!
    Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Re: What are some Marshall 18watt Clones?

Check this out. Don't know if ithey're any good, just did a quick search. I think that's a little expensive based on the HC buyers on that Budda

My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

For less than $1000, the Gibson Goldtone 15's and 30's are good. Also look at Laneys, Trace Elliot.

Or, Scott F's Franklin combo

for more money, there's the Bogner Metropolis, 65Amps (my fave), and some Dr. Z models.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Hand-built, point-to-point, vacuum tube guitar amplifiers

These folks have a stunning 18 watt replica. Three different kinds to be specific. The TMB is a standard 18 watt with treble, mid and bass eq and two channels (one has no eq). The SIII is the same, but the second channel is voiced with less gain and therefore is more like a plexi. There is a tremelo version as well. These amps get high marks at HC and the heads start at $950.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          For less than $1000, the Gibson Goldtone 15's and 30's are good. Also look at Laneys, Trace Elliot.

Or, Scott F's Franklin combo

for more money, there's the Bogner Metropolis, 65Amps (my fave), and some Dr. Z models.

all great ideas but none of those are 18 watt Marshall clones
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            all great ideas but none of those are 18 watt Marshall clones
            True. I was too lazy to dig up the names of all the www.18watt.com companies! Go to that site for a lot of great info.

I really love the www.65amps.com London head/2-12. That thing just destroys the 18W Marshall handwired.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Here's one:

Read more here...
              But seriously, if you're at all handy (capable of soldering and following directions at the least) the 18 Watter is one of the simplest DIY amps out there, next to a Champ. (Assuming you forego the tremolo and build a "Lite" variant). You can build it from scratch, buy a kit, or source your own assortment of parts from a variety of vendors.

+1 on 18Watt.com. They are THE resource for DIY, clones, 18 Watter derivatives, kits... everything.

Perhaps the cheapest/easiest route to 18 Watt tonal bliss is to convert a Fender Blues Jr. Start with a used Blues Jr., so you don't have to build a cabinet, punch holes in a metal chassis, etc. The BJ already has the right tube complement and transformers. There are some documented projects out there that show how to convert the circuit. You may even be able to find a pre-fab board to fit. If you're not gifted with a soldering iron, I bet your high school electronics shop class could build iy for you, if you ponied up the donor amp and paid for the new parts.

And don't forget to stick a G12H30 clone in there. That Fender speaker sux.
              Last edited by Rich_S; 01-23-2006, 10:01 PM.
              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
              Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Working...
              X