banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a solid state amp with a great clean channel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a solid state amp with a great clean channel!

Hi, anyone know of any solid state amps with a really nice clean channel?

the amp has to be 50watts or more and not too expensive. I want a clean channel that won't colour the sound of my podxt too much.

I did have a roland cube 60 which had a nice clean channel but i am afraid as it is a modelling amp it would have coloured my tone too much.

any suggestions? thanks

oh yeah preferably the amp will have a closed back
    Last edited by SepultuRick; 01-24-2006, 01:03 PM.
    Michael Kelly Patriot Black w/Rockfield Fat Ass set
    Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic
    Dunlop Jazz III and Ultex Picks

Re: I need a solid state amp with a great clean channel!

Keyboard amp? Roland KC series? All traditional guitar amps will color your tone because of the speakers and circuits used...a PA/Keyboard amp will probably recreate the modelled tone better...

Comment

Sold the Cube 60 already?

I thought you had liked it... you sure get bored of gear faster than I do.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

the fender Roc-Pro has a nice clean channel

Comment

Originally posted by ChileanGuy
          Sold the Cube 60 already?

I thought you had liked it... you sure get bored of gear faster than I do.
          I did like it. just not the metal settings at high volumes. also i thought the metal settings were both too dark sounding. Nice amp though.
          Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic

Comment

Do you want a head or a combo?

Personally I'd suggest the 2nd generation Marshall Valvestate stuff for an SS (hybrid in this case) amp with a nice clean channel and decent overdrive and distortion channels. I had a VS265R... 2x12 combo with stereo chorus and 75 watts per side... I kinda miss that amp as it has a GREAT clean channel and the chorus was gorgeous. The VS100R is basically the same amp but without chorus and mono and 100W. I had one of those for a backup amp when i had my JCM800. IMO these are a little better than the AVT line, tonally.

They're open-back amps but you can close up the back with a 2x4 no problem... oh yea and they can be had for relatively cheap $$ on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by msawitzke
              Keyboard amp? Roland KC series? All traditional guitar amps will color your tone because of the speakers and circuits used...a PA/Keyboard amp will probably recreate the modelled tone better...
              +1. A amp modeler through a key board amp sounds Nearly Identical to the way it sounds recorded. I've even known people to leave the cab modeling on through a key board amp and it still sounding radical.
              www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
              I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Dude, how did those settings I gave you work out? I notice you're selling your amp?

Last night I got curious about the JCM900 and traded amps with the other guitar player for the night. It's a 50W dual reverb head (which are supposed to be lesser than your earlier model) through a Peavey 2x12 cab.
                After a minute of twiddling I got some good crunch and when I kicked in the od I got a great metal tone. Really heavy stuff and fairly easy to dial in. Sorry I forgot to bring my recording equipment.

I would definately not sell the thing and give it some more time to get used to?

Comment

every time this guy starts a thread asking about a new amp, somebody tells him to keep the one he's got...hahaha

-X
                  green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

IMO the CLEAN channel is actually where almost all solid state amps really shine... I think if I were looking for an SS amp for clean I´d prolly grab the first thing I find
                    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst
                      Dude, how did those settings I gave you work out? I notice you're selling your amp?

Last night I got curious about the JCM900 and traded amps with the other guitar player for the night. It's a 50W dual reverb head (which are supposed to be lesser than your earlier model) through a Peavey 2x12 cab.
                      After a minute of twiddling I got some good crunch and when I kicked in the od I got a great metal tone. Really heavy stuff and fairly easy to dial in. Sorry I forgot to bring my recording equipment.

I would definately not sell the thing and give it some more time to get used to?
                      yeah thanks for all that help you gave me. i just couldn't get my jcm900 sounding good at low volumes which is the way i will use it 99% of the time right now. even at high volumes it never sounded quite how i would have liked.

One thing i did notice aboit my jcm900 is that the tubes never really glowed brightly. is that normal? remember it was my first tube amp
                      Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic

Comment

Originally posted by SepultuRick
                        One thing i did notice aboit my jcm900 is that the tubes never really glowed brightly. is that normal? remember it was my first tube amp
                        Are we talking preamp tubes or power amp tubes?

Comment

Originally posted by B2D
                          Are we talking preamp tubes or power amp tubes?
                          The big ones. Power amp tubes right?

i don't think i could even see the preamp tubes properly
                          Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic

Comment

Well a Marshall does need a bit of volume to sound it's fullest.
                            You're probably better off getting some modeling amp but Randall makes some good SS amps with killer cleans.

Comment

Originally posted by SepultuRick
                              The big ones. Power amp tubes right?

i don't think i could even see the preamp tubes properly
                              Yes. The larger tubes are always the power amp tubes.

What do you mean you couldn't see the preamp tubes? I used to play through a 900 regularly, they're right there!

Comment

Working...
                              X