Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa retubing: What can I use?

Hi guys.
    Since Mesa's have a fixed bias without an adjustment pot, I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction for new tubes. I understand you can use anything in the preamp with no problems, but you need to use only power tubes that are rated in the Mesa specs zone right? How do I know which brand of tubes I can use? I know I can use any Mesa tube, and can just ask eurotubes or something for mesa spec'd tubes, but I wanted to know what to look for myself.

I've heard that the Groove tube ratings match up with Mesa color codes. Is this true? Does anyone have the chart that shows these ratings so I can see what is useable in my amp?

I'm looking for EL34's for a Stiletto.

Thanks!

Re: Mesa retubing: What can I use?

Once I put Groove Tube 6L6GE's rated at 4, which is about the normal distortion rate IRRC, in my Single Rectifier, and those sounded great.

Comment

i have groove tubes that are rated at 7 in my dual rectifier. but it is an older model and the tubes in there now are what came in it when i bought it, so i don't really know how the bias in the older models compare to that of the current production models.

but if you email bob at ww.eurotubes.com, he oculd help you out (not to mention that his tubes are pretty good too). he's been a big help to me in the past, even when i'm not placing an order from him.
      gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
      '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
      mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
      marshall 1960A 4x12
      and a few pedals

Comment

Another vote for bob at eurotubes...i had to retube two amps once, one being a fixed bias mesa 50cal+ combo and he fixed me up with some JJ's for both amps and they sound fantastic in both!

Plus im in Australia and it was great dealing with him from the other side of the world and had no fuss getting them here.

Great guy and great tubes!
        My Soundclick page.

Comment

If it were my amp, I'd get Svetlana 6L6's, either winged C logo or the newer SED versions. If you want to tighten up the gain, get GT12AX7C's, at least for the first few positions. I like JJ power tubes, but don't care for JJ pre tubes......too clean sounding. If you do go with all JJ's, I think the ECC803S sounds good.
          The ECC83's sound too tame in something like a Mesa.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

i have a stiletto deuce,i always buy tubes from thetubestore.com im running EH12AX7 and Svetlana EL-34 and EH 5U4.just tell'em what your putting the tubes in and they will put a number on them so next time you just tell'em what number you had before.these are the same tubes groove tubes charge you a arm and a leg for,your just paying for them to paint their logo on them.ive done a comparison and when you look at the groove tube stuff they look alike and sound alike.anyway i love these in my stiletto, they totally blew away the stock mesa tubes!my stiletto does EVH Brown sound easy plus anyother marshally tone you can imagine but BETTER!!!! with these tubes.hope this helps.
            ~the dug
            my band
            Red Hot Rebellion
            www.redhotrebellion.com

LP's & Marshall's

Comment

Thanks everyone!
              The Dug, that sounds cool! Definately going to try those sooner or later. What settings,power settings, mode, etc. are you using for VH?

Here's another question for everyone. How are tubes rated to fall within mesa standards? Does it have to be a certain bias? If so, what is that bias? Anyone know where I can get the GT chart that show it's ratings and how they relate to mesa color code ratings?

Thanks!

Comment

here is a chart posted on Myles Rose website

Mesa scale Groove Tubes scale
                Red 4
                Yellow 4
                Green 5
                Gray 5
                Blue 6
                White 6
                " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

im running the lead channel on the vintage lead setting w/rectifier on and spongy switch on with 50 watts= EVH! Do you have the owners manual?if so the vintage/brown suggestions will get you in the ballpark.ive been running the vintage lead channel and the british rythm settings on channel one,and man i still get goose bumps every time i turn her up!i love this amp!! as far as the tone goes,ive also got a seymour CC in the bridge of my LP i think that helps some too.i wonder what it would sound like with a nice bolt on charvel.it would have to rip!!!anyway let me know how those GT's work out for you.
                  my band
                  Red Hot Rebellion
                  www.redhotrebellion.com

LP's & Marshall's

Comment

Just had to say 6L6S's from GT (5 rating) sounded great!
                    1973 Les Paul Standard
                    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Originally posted by THE DUG
                      im running the lead channel on the vintage lead setting w/rectifier on and spongy switch on with 50 watts= EVH! Do you have the owners manual?if so the vintage/brown suggestions will get you in the ballpark.ive been running the vintage lead channel and the british rythm settings on channel one,and man i still get goose bumps every time i turn her up!i love this amp!! as far as the tone goes,ive also got a seymour CC in the bridge of my LP i think that helps some too.i wonder what it would sound like with a nice bolt on charvel.it would have to rip!!!anyway let me know how those GT's work out for you.
                      Thanks for the info! Yeah I have a manual. Do you have the original stiletto or the new series ll?

Comment

Hey THE DUG,
                        Have you tried popping in various preamp tubes? Also, there's some people complaining about the amp being flubby in the bass I think with the lead channel. Do you notice this?

Comment

bump

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                            X