Crate in the dumpster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate in the dumpster

A while back, my Crate GFX65 began cutting out in the overdrive channels. It was 3 or 4 years old, and you guys told me that this seemed to be the way with cheap SS amps.

Since then I bought another cheap SS amp from Line 6 - a Spider II 112. I'm happy with it for now, but I am aware that it may only last another 3 or 4 years - at which time I will be back for advice for an even better amp.

In the meantime - I thought I could use the clean channel on the Crate for vocals when my band rehearses at my house. It worked splendidly for a while - and then the clean channel began cutting out.

So now I am looking for an inexpensive alternative... (any ideas?)

In the mean time - I stripped the Crate - I removed the 12 inch speaker, all the corner moldings, the strap handle, the transformer, I even took out the onboard tuner - though I don't have a clue how I would hook it up. You never know when I may need this stuff - aack! I've become my father!

The chassis and the cabinet are in the dumpster. Good riddance.
    Rick
    (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
    Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Re: Crate in the dumpster

You should keep the cabinet at least, just mount the speaker in it, and use it as an extension cab.
    www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

hmmm my crate seems reliable for 5 years old, but of course it wasnt my number one amp just low volume and only really for cleans. back when I played in punk bands, I used a crate gx15 just so I could here my own vocals at practice.

I think squier has a cheap PA system out there.
      Fender and Squier Guitars, Crate Amps and Seymour Duncan Pickups.

Comment

Oh God, the Squier PA's soun like garbage.

I don't know how cheap it would be, but perhaps a good used keyboard amp would work.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

haha ok dont get the Squier PA.
          Fender and Squier Guitars, Crate Amps and Seymour Duncan Pickups.

Comment

No... I've heard too many bad things about Squier PAs - I won't go near them. I have been considering some of the SoundTech PAs at Music123 - they have good reviews.

But actually the keyboard amp sounds like a good idea - always up for something that will offer multi-use possibilities. Perhaps a Roland cube or something.

As for keeping the cabinet - it's just too big. I would rather build a smaller cabinet if I need it. But for now, I just have the speaker stored away in a box.
            Rick

Comment

thats funny, i had a crate SS amp who's dirty channel cut out

strangley enough, my problem seemed to be heat. if i put a fan on the back, it worked like a charm... not sure why
              '90 Gibson Les Paul Studio, '96 Jackson DR2, '98 MIM Fender Strat, '05 Ibanez RG7321, '07 Squier 51, '04 ESP LTD B-105

Comment

Originally posted by nahfuten
                thats funny, i had a crate SS amp who's dirty channel cut out

strangley enough, my problem seemed to be heat. if i put a fan on the back, it worked like a charm... not sure why
                hmm... maybe I was hasty gutting it No, It started cutting out right at the beginning of practice. I doubt it had to time to heat up much. I think parts were just coming loose - it's the way they build the chassis - it can't take any stress without everything working loose.
                Rick

Comment

Working...
                X