Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two amp questions : External Speaker Jack and Preamp tubes

Hey all, two quick questions.

1. If a combo amp has an external speaker jack and I hook up a cabinet of speakers to it, will the sound still come out of the amp's speaker?

2. If an amp has two channels, one clean and one distorted, and three preamp tubes, I know the V3 tube is the phase inverter (whatever thats used for), and then theres V1 and V2. Would V1 be for Channel 1 (Clean) and V2 for Channel 2 (Distorted)? If so, could I put a 12AY7 in V1 for a cleaner sound that won't distort on channel 1, and then a 12AX7 in V2 for a better distorted tone on channel 2, without affecting the other channel's tone?

Thanks!

-Corbic
    The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
    And Here on Bandcamp!
    Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Re: Two amp questions : External Speaker Jack and Preamp tubes

Originally posted by Corbic
    Hey all, two quick questions.

1. If a combo amp has an external speaker jack and I hook up a cabinet of speakers to it, will the sound still come out of the amp's speaker?

2. If an amp has two channels, one clean and one distorted, and three preamp tubes, I know the V3 tube is the phase inverter (whatever thats used for), and then theres V1 and V2. Would V1 be for Channel 1 (Clean) and V2 for Channel 2 (Distorted)? If so, could I put a 12AY7 in V1 for a cleaner sound that won't distort on channel 1, and then a 12AX7 in V2 for a better distorted tone on channel 2, without affecting the other channel's tone?

Thanks!

-Corbic
    1- usually on a tube amp both sets of speakers will work.

2- on many tube amps v1 is used for both channels, v2 may be used for only the 2nd channel or maybe only 1/2 is used for the 2nd channel. each preamp tube is a dual triode, so there are two tube stages in each bottle.
    if you put a 12ay7 in v1 you will probably get a cleaner tone all around.

what amp are we talking about?

Comment

Re: Two amp questions : External Speaker Jack and Preamp tubes

Most likely a Peavey Classic 30, or amps like it. From what I've heard, it sounds good, almost Marshall-like, and is completely in my price range. Was recommended by quite a few people too.
      The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
      And Here on Bandcamp!
      Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

Working...
      X