Help me pick a new amp head!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a new amp head!

Ok, so, with me being in a serious project now that is going to be going on a give or take 20 city tour this summer, the old Crate head just isn't cutting it anymore, especially if we're going to playing any more record company showcases....I need a more defined, louder sound.

Budget: $700-900, give or take. I don't mind buying used. A cab can wait...so you don't need to factor that in.

The sound I'm looking for: Loud, saturated gains but not too saturated. Feedbacky, but still has enough clarity to be understood. I want a loud and dirty rock and roll machine, basically. I play punk rock. Two channels are a must!

I found the JCM 800 not to be gainy enough (granted i didnt have my pedal in front of it), and I found the JCM 2000 to be far too nu-metal for my tastes. I want to try a JCM 900, but can't readily find one in the area.

Currently, my two main guitars are a fender tele w/hot rail in the bridge and a schecter PT with a JB/59 combo, if that helps. I also have a BOSS drive zone (you know, the pedal with a bunch of different distortions).

Your help is greatly appreciated!
    Facebook - My facebook page
    Kemo For Emo - My band. Now verified on Facebook & Spotify!

Re: Help me pick a new amp head!

What you just described to me sounds like a JCM 900 all the way. I recommend the Dual Reverb model because it has more gain than the Mk IIIs.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Bro....Jeff Seal ought to be able to help hook you up with something, you're right in his neck of the woods. Perhaps he has a line on an old JCM 800 or 900 that he can mod to your specs for about what you're looking to spend. He may have annother amp brand that he can mod as well.

That's the first thing I'd look at, since you're right there near him. However, for stock amps, the JCM 900 does sound like what you want. That or perhaps a Laney?
      My Sound Clips

Comment

i would check out that peavy penta head. looks cool.
        we can be heroes

Comment

I just got an Engl Screamer 50, and I would bet it could do those sounds well.

Comment

I havn't had the priveledge of playing a JCM 900 since they don't make them anymore. I wouldn't get a JCM2000 either, very unimpressive tone to me. I really don't know how they could be associated with nu-metal. Then again i am a 6L6 tube kinda guy, but i do play punk in addition to some metal and alternative, so i'm kinda in the same boat as you. I really like the Rectos but i hate the price tag, i'm seriously considering getting a 5150 or XXX. they can go from a nice tight marshally crunch, to heavier stuff if you need that extra punch that an EL34 powered amp wouldn't be able to provide. Just my 2 cents
            Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
            Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59 model) see display pic <---
            Jackon Pro Series Dinky w/OFR (EMG 81/60)

Marshall JCM 800 4104 (2xEminence Governor)

Visual Sound Route 808
            Boss SD-1
            Digitech Bad Monkey
            Vox V-847 wah

Comment

Thanks for the help guys....nice call with contacting Jeff Seal, Jeff. I've been to his shop a few times and he's an awesome dude, I think I'll call him up and see what he's got.

I'll probably be buying an amp sometime after I get my tax return.
              Facebook - My facebook page
              Kemo For Emo - My band. Now verified on Facebook & Spotify!

Comment

Working...
              X