Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall DSL100

No channel switching, it is a Hiwatt
    Would just go with the DSl if it was me, or an Engl Thunder.

Comment

I own its little brother, the DSL50.

Two channels, each with two stages.

“Classic Gain” offers clean and crunch modes (modes are not footswitchable). The cleans are very usable so long as you aren’t looking for Fenderish clean tones. The crunch channel is a moderate 70s British type crunch that reacts well to pedals. The crunch mode doesn’t really start to cook until the volume is way up.

“Ultra Gain” is a more modern, yet still Marshall, sound. The modes are Lead 1 and Lead 2. Personally I find the Lead 2 to be too high gain for my tastes and very buzzy. Lead 1 is just right (it’s a higher gain, beefier version of the crunch channel). The nice thing is that I can still get pretty good tone out of the ultra gain channel without cranking the volume (although, “5” is still pretty loud for a 50 watt Marshall).

There is a deep switch and a tone shift. The deep switch is basically a bass boost that really fills in the bottom end. Use carefully because it can also loosen up the low end. The tone shift is not a mid boost, but rather a mid-cut. In the “in” position it scoops the mids quite a bit.

I’ve used it with a cheap 4x12 Fender cab and a 2x12 loaded with a pair of Celestion Greenbacks. While I prefer the overall tone of the 2x12 over the 4x12, the 4x12 certainly filled a space better.

Unless you need the headroom for the clean channel, I’d recommend the DSL50 over the DSL100. The gain channels break up much sooner, and 50 watts should be enough power to play just about anywhere you would play without a PA system.
      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

That's the thing, I need clean headroom for the old school R&B, funk, and blues styles my band plays.

I can get a good deal on the 100, but if the clean channel sin't up to the task, I think I'll go with some other kind of channel switcher.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Well, have you had a chance you play one? The clean channel is clean, but it's not particularly that sweet.
          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I've played one briefly at work, but couldn't really dial in a great clean or high gain sound. The mid gain crunch tones were superb though.

I don't think I can base my opinion on this amp after only playing it for 10 min. though.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I don't get a chance to even try a DSL50 at my local authorised store, *sigh
              Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
              Gibson 1959 reissue
              Gibson 1960 reissue
              Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

ive got a dsl50. its a great amp.
                we can be heroes

Comment

I prefer the cleans over the crunch.

Comment

I can't say anything bad about the DSL 100 at all, but it didn't blow my socks off either. Awesome cleans, i thought it lacked a little in the really heavy distortion areas. But i'm a 6L6 tube kinda guy, so that not being fair to the EL34's in the Marshall. Very versatile, a really great all around amp, i'm not sure if it is worth the pricetag, but then again it is a Marshall. If you can get a good deal on it, then go for it. I guarantee you won't be disapointed. If you want another alternative, i might get flamed for this, but I was really impress with the Peavey 6506 I played. The cleans weren't as great as the DSL but, when plugged into the Low output I was really impressed with the tight crunch it gave, reminded me of Marshall somewhat. And then when you need it, it can go into heavy metal territory. Just a thought.
                    Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
                    Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59 model) see display pic <---
                    Jackon Pro Series Dinky w/OFR (EMG 81/60)

Marshall JCM 800 4104 (2xEminence Governor)

Visual Sound Route 808
                    Boss SD-1
                    Digitech Bad Monkey
                    Vox V-847 wah

Comment

You wont get flamed for that because 6505=5150. I much prefer it to the DSL for metal.

Comment

Originally posted by taphappy
                        You wont get flamed for that because 6505=5150. I much prefer it to the DSL for metal.

Man, I was just gonna chime in on this.

Having owned both, I can tell you these are both pretty much 'niche' amps.

I think the DSL 100 does an awesome job of mild overdrive to moderate distortion. Think AC/DC here. I can, with hotter pickups (like the JB), get into Rhoads type sounds on the higher gain lead channel. The cleans are pretty good on the DSL as well. I don't like my Strats with single coils much through this amp for dirty tones.

If I'm going to play metal, I much prefer the 5150. It is tight, and with the right settings and speaker cab, it just shines. However, on the moderate distortion stuff, I think it sounds too 'round' and isn't quite what I'm looking for. It has plenty of gain on tap without the need for external pedals. Great metal amp.

-Mark
                        2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                        1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

I have owned a DSL50 and a couple DSL100s. I really like the DSL50 but only slightly more than the DSL100. Both are truly great amps IMO. I find the cleans VERY good for a rock amp- it won't fool anyone into thinking it is a Fender or Hiwatt but it is damn good. Don't buy one to play steel guitar in a country band or play jazz. The red channel get's plenty nasty and I think it sounds outstanding at moderate volume levels. I used to like the DSL better at moderate loud levels than when it was cranked all the way. I don't think you can go wrong with a used DSL... a DSL 50 can be had for under $800 and is a great bargain. I actually prefer a 12/75 speakers with the DSL heads over a V30. The V30 was too "ice pick in the forehead" for me. I would at lease use a couple 12/75s in a 4X12 to help balance out the V30s.
                          MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Comment

Working...
                          X