Guess its time to change my power tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess its time to change my power tubes

Okay I think my one of my tubes is dead now. After warming it up the amp. I touched each tube with a cloth and all tubes where hot except the one that was not glowing. I'll try spraying contact cleaner in the tube sockets or pins to see if it will fix the problem. Do you guys think that it will be safe for me to play my amp with the one tube dead/not warm? Oh one more thing, what do you guys do with extra tubes, such as the three I got still working?

Erikh I heard you like the svetlana el-34's in your amp. I also have them, but the ruby tube rebrand version of them. I'm probably going to just get a quad matched set of svetlanas or should I get the winged =C= versions? I like my current tubes so I'll proabably stick with svetlana. I'm probably going the get the tubes from here http://thetubestore.com . If anyone knows of a better store that also does burn in testing, to get tubes from please tell me.
    Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
    Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
    Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
    Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
    Fender Frontman 15g
    Cry Baby
    Boss DS-2
    Boss CE-3
    Danelectro Wasabi

Re: Guess its time to change my power tubes

do not play your amp with a dead tube! you could blow any number of things....best to wait til the new tubes get there
    Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Should the valve failure led lit up on the back my amp? Cause its not lit when the amp is on. Guess I should get those checked when I get my new tubes biased.
      Fender Frontman 15g
      Cry Baby
      Boss DS-2
      Boss CE-3
      Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

I wouldn't play it unless you're using the 2 inner tubes with the outside sockets empty.

I've heard really good things about the Winged =C= Svetlana's. Those are the real thing. Mine are the rebranded ones but they still sound great. Once you find a tube you like, stick with it.

I still have the old tubes from mine. Not sure what I'm going to do with them but with the old pre-amp tubes I've been using those in tube based 12V-18V circuits.

Comment

If you go with "Svetlana" be sure they are the "Winged C" brand and not the newer ones that say "Svetlana" by New Sensor as those are not the same tube. The New Sensor "Mullard" EL34s are really, really nice as well. I just put a pair in my Marshall 2204 and it has never sounded better.

Cheers,

CJ
          www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Since your from NY, order your tubes from Doug @ www.dougstubes.com

Excellent prices and will be cheaper on shipping for you and at the sametime, you wont have to worry about boarder duties.

I currently use the SED Winged =C= EL34s in my VHT Poweramp and I think they're great. not lacking on the lowend at all, very clear and sounds aggressive and thick when driven hard or turned up loud.

Good luck!
            www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

What do you guys think about the differences between the sed =C='s and the plain svetlanas? From what I read so far is that the sed =C='s have a tighter bottom end, is that the only difference.
              Fender Frontman 15g
              Cry Baby
              Boss DS-2
              Boss CE-3
              Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by greendy123
                What do you guys think about the differences between the sed =C='s and the plain svetlanas? From what I read so far is that the sed =C='s have a tighter bottom end, is that the only difference.
                I've never tried the Svetlana EL34s.. but I can tell you that the SED EL34s have an excellent tight bottom end for an EL34.

I've used the JJ E34Ls before and to be honest, I prefer these ones over the JJs.

Cheers
                www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Another vote for the Winged C/SED EL34s. I'm using them in the Simul-class sockets of a couple of Mesas, and I am very happy.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I vote for winged C SED also. don't count me out !
                    Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
                    Gibson 1959 reissue
                    Gibson 1960 reissue
                    Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

You guys have convinced me to the sed =C=s. They sound like they would keep the svetlana typical sound but tighten the loose bottom end for me.
                      Fender Frontman 15g
                      Cry Baby
                      Boss DS-2
                      Boss CE-3
                      Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Working...
                      X