banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are there any small tube combos with headphone sockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are there any small tube combos with headphone sockets?

hi, does there exist a small, all tube, combo with a headphone socket? any wattage. thanks
    Michael Kelly Patriot Black w/Rockfield Fat Ass set
    Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic
    Dunlop Jazz III and Ultex Picks

Re: are there any small tube combos with headphone sockets?

According to what I read somewhere, the power transformer, or some really important component in tube amps would run too hot or something if there were a headphone jack, and it would break. So no, there aren't any tube combo's with headphone jacks. The closest you'd get would be a hybrid amp, most have a headphone jack, but those aren't really tube tone. Sorry I'm not more knowledgable on the subject.
    The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
    And Here on Bandcamp!
    Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

YES!! There are small all tube combos with a headphone out. The Fender Champ 12 made from 88' to 92' is one of em'. You can get one on ebay for around $250 to $300.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

The Koch Twintone and Twintone II
        They're compact 50 watt 1x12's, with a half power switch. I'm not sure what to consider as 'small', but these Kochs are pretty compact for a 1x12. And they sure sound the part!

Edit: I would also like to add the Koch Studiotone. Although mainly intended for studio use, it can be used on may more ocassions. it IS a 3-channel tube combo, with a built in powersoak (the Koch Loadbox) and some other nice studio features, but at the same time pretty basic, with shared controls for all three channels. Then again, all you'll ever use are the gain and volume pots, as I think a Koch sounds good on all channels with the EQ set to neutral! On my Koch Pedaltone, I slightly turn up the bass and back off the treble a little, but the mids knob never leaves the middle position.
        Last edited by Jeroen; 02-03-2006, 03:33 AM.
        Guitars: EBMM Silhouette Special / G&L ASAT Special / ESP Horizon / Squier MIJ Strat / Squier Aff. Strat / Furch S23-CR / Taylor Baby
        Basses: Cort NTL-BFL acoustic fretless / Ellio Martina Forza 5 / Fender MIJ '75 RI Jazz / G&L SB-2 / Ibanez MC924 / Ibanez ATK300 (2x) / Ibanez ATK305 / Italia Torino / Longbow 2-string / Rickenbacker 4003 / Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless

Comment

Another amp is the Marshall Studio 15. This an all tube amp, with a master volume and a built in attenuator (actually a large resistor acts as the load) and has a tube driven headphone output.

Another thing that is novel in this amp is that it was designed around a pair of 6V6s (Marshalls only use of this tube ever) and it also had their first use of the Vintage 30.

gt5litre

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
            YES!! There are small all tube combos with a headphone out. The Fender Champ 12 made from 88' to 92' is one of em'. You can get one on ebay for around $250 to $300.
            Ok there is one on ebay right now. do you know if these amps are very good? i'd love a good clean tone but also i will be wanting to push the gain channel to get to heavy metal tones. i am talking thrash metal and beyond! just for playing in my bedroom thats all
            Michael Kelly Patriot Black w/Rockfield Fat Ass set
            Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic
            Dunlop Jazz III and Ultex Picks

Comment

Might you be able to drive the speaker with the headphone amp with the amp maxed out for some great grind and low volume? It's the kind of thing that I'd try anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx
                Might you be able to drive the speaker with the headphone amp with the amp maxed out for some great grind and low volume? It's the kind of thing that I'd try anyway.
                I don't think it's such a good idea to unhook the speaker output of a tube amp when running it cranked
                Guitars: EBMM Silhouette Special / G&L ASAT Special / ESP Horizon / Squier MIJ Strat / Squier Aff. Strat / Furch S23-CR / Taylor Baby
                Basses: Cort NTL-BFL acoustic fretless / Ellio Martina Forza 5 / Fender MIJ '75 RI Jazz / G&L SB-2 / Ibanez MC924 / Ibanez ATK300 (2x) / Ibanez ATK305 / Italia Torino / Longbow 2-string / Rickenbacker 4003 / Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless

Comment

Working...
                X