Kustom amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kustom amps?

Anyone have any info on these? Long story short a friend of my Dad's heard one of my tracks and is giving me his old rig... He said the cab is a 3x15 which sounds more like a bass cab then a guitar cab to me, but he said they're both for guitar so... I have no idea what model it is or anything, but er- free is free so I'm taking it regardless Just now I'm kinda interested as to what I should expect it to sound like. I don't know how many years ago he was in a band, could be anywhere from 10-25 years old.
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Re: Kustom amps?

I like Kustom amps. Small tube12 combo is awesome. Dont know much about their older stuff. Esspecially if you dont know the model. Let us know how it goes
    Fender and Squier Guitars, Crate Amps and Seymour Duncan Pickups.

Comment

haha well it's a good sign that you like anything from em as far as I'm concerned. I seriously hadn't even heard of em before today. I didn't know if was spelled with a k until I googled it :P I'll bump this thread once I have the amp.
      Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
      Marshall 1960a
      Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

i have a kustom solid state practice amp, and for what it is, its really good
        Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
        Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59 model) see display pic <---
        Jackon Pro Series Dinky w/OFR (EMG 81/60)

Marshall JCM 800 4104 (2xEminence Governor)

Visual Sound Route 808
        Boss SD-1
        Digitech Bad Monkey
        Vox V-847 wah

Comment

3 Words: Creedence Clearwater Revival.

They're the only folks I can think of who used Kustoms. Most of them were solid state, with a lot of doodads and geegaws on the control panel. If it has a 3x15 cab, there's a pretty good chance it's one of those tuck-and-roll jobs. Cool stuff.

Check out Peter Stroud's rig that he uses with Sheryl Crow (Here's a link to the 65 Amps Pics Page). The boss lady made everyone in the band use matching Kustom cabs in silver sparkle - really cool & unusual. You can just see 2 cabs peeking in the right side of Peter's pic.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I had one of them Kustom tuck-and-roll jobs. It was a Kustom 150 or something like that? It was LOUD ! and clean ,And didn't seem to like O.D. pedals to much? I think mine had 2 JBL D-120's in it (That I should have held on to ) I was maybe 16 at the time? What did I know? It's with that amp I learned the necessity of a 3 way grounded plug. I was playing a pool party,And got splashed. BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! After that, I practicality gave the amp away.
            http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I've used a 10 watt solid state combo. It sounded very bad... which should be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Telesexual
                I like Kustom amps. Small tube12 combo is awesome.
                +1! I have a Tube 12A for practicing. I love both its clean and OD tones, the key is to use the EQ section in a rather radical way.

Comment

They were big, loud, and clean. Some models had 'E' tuners, fuzz, quasi-parametric mid shift controls, as well as the usual reverb and tremolo. I think the idea at the time (late 60's) was an all-purpose amp that could be used for bass, guitar, or organ. The big heads do sound pretty good with a Precision, though. For cleans, the smaller 2x12" or 1x15" are pretty good with a speaker upgrade (lots of CTS stuff in these amps; JBL was special order).

Comment

I found a link that's got a lot of vintage Kustom pics. Check it out!

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

wow that tuck and roll vinyl looks wild! It's ironic that these apparently sound best clean though. That's the opposite of what I need ! I hope I can at least get into classic rock territory with it.
                      Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                      Marshall 1960a
                      Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Run a Jordan Bosstone through it---instant Moby Grape/Blue Cheer. Maybe you would rather not be that classic, tho...j/k.

Comment

u could use it in parellel with a cab with 10's in it giving u both 15" and 10" sounds whcinh could be cool.
                          Gondola Kid
                          Bandcamp
                          Facebook
                          JimijaymesGuitarist
                          Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by James Rock
                            u could use it in parellel with a cab with 10's in it giving u both 15" and 10" sounds whcinh could be cool.
                            But I'd imagine you'd be running at a dangerously low impedance for any amp.

Heck, not all that long ago John Fogerty was still touring with his Kustom that he used at Woodstock. Just because I haven't played a Kustom I liked, I'll bet John Fogerty knows a bit more than me about guitar tone.
                            *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                            Originally posted by Slash2987
                            Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                            Originally posted by PVFan
                            I'm a good sex man.
                            Originally posted by Grumpy
                            I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Working...
                            X