banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ohm question Marshall jcm800 with 2 cabs 1@8 /1@16 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ohm question Marshall jcm800 with 2 cabs 1@8 /1@16 ?

Ohm question Marshall jcm800 with 2 cabs 1@8 /1@16 ?

I need to run my mesa cab (8ohms) and a marshall cab (16 ohms)at the same time off of a jcm800 100 watt head. What should the head be on 4 ohms???

I will also like to run my voodoo cab (8 ohms) and my mesa cab (8 ohms) of of the same head. What ohms on the amp switch? these 2 together only not including anything else. Just 2 cabs at a time.
    My bands links:

PEDL
    www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
    www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
    www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Re: ohm question Marshall jcm800 with 2 cabs 1@8 /1@16 ?

The 8 & 16 combination works out to 5.33 ohms. Since tube amps prefer impedance lower rather than higher, I'd use the 8-ohm setting. You won't hurt anything using the 4-ohm setting, though.

Keep in mind that the power won't be divided equally in this case. 2/3 (or 67 watts) will go to the 8-ohm cab. The remaining 1/3 (33 watts) will go to the 16-ohm cab. Make sure each cab can handle the power that will be flowing to it.

In the case of the two 8-ohm cabs, use the amp's 4-ohm setting.
    Last edited by Rich_S; 02-04-2006, 09:20 AM.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I was going to ask a similar question.. if i have a 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm, could i run the amp at 4 ohms and not kill it?
      Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
      Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
      Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
      Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
      Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

If using 2 cabs of different ohmage ratings, the Marshall manual states to set the amp at 'Half the ohmage of the lowest rated cabinet'.

For example, if using 1 @ 16 ohm and 1 @ 8 ohm, half of the lowest rated cab would be 4ohms

Comment

Very helpfull thanks.
          My bands links:

PEDL
          www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
          www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
          www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

Working...
          X