Distortion pedal with smooth tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion pedal with smooth tone?

Guys I need some help. I am looking for a pedal that will produce nice distortion but has reaaly smooth shred tone- like Joe Satriani or Paul Gilbert.

I know Satch uses DS1 sometimes but I've tried modded DS1's and still didnt like it.

any Ideas?

Re: Distortion pedal with smooth tone?

You'd probably like the Radial Tonebone Hot British. It's got the most convincing metal tone, just by turning knobs. At low volumes into a practice amp, most Dist pedals sound grating and ratty.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

wait on the SFX-03
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I think i should add that I play through a Peavey Triumph all tube head and a Carvin 4x12.

Comment

Originally posted by wixomwhat
          I think i should add that I play through a Peavey Triumph all tube head and a Carvin 4x12.
          No matter what amp/cab/guitar/pickup you use the SFX-03 won't change the tone...if you already have a good tone then thats good, if you want a crappy guitar into a crappy amp to sound not crappy then stay from the SFX-03, it doesn't change the tone just makes it crunchy!
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            You'd probably like the Radial Tonebone Hot British. It's got the most convincing metal tone, just by turning knobs. At low volumes into a practice amp, most Dist pedals sound grating and ratty.

I'll have to check out the Tonebone. I heard they sound good.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
              No matter what amp/cab/guitar/pickup you use the SFX-03 won't change the tone...if you already have a good tone then thats good, if you want a crappy guitar into a crappy amp to sound not crappy then stay from the SFX-03, it doesn't change the tone just makes it crunchy!
              I have a prtty bad tone. lol.

Comment

the tonebone wont color your sound much either.. but it will make it sound better and more clear.
                Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
                Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
                Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
                Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
                Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

Not knowing what kind of budget you are looking for, I would recommend 3-4 pedals.

First off, I would say to set your amp up so that you are getting some overdrive from the tubes, then use and OD or distortion pedal to fill out the distortion and give you more bite, sustain, and harmonic detail.

In no particular order:

Brotech Fat Pipe Pro

Fulltone Distortion Pro

HBE Big D

Mesa Twin Valve
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will have to check some of these out. I might be headed to GC but I doubt I will find anything there.

also I was thinking about rack gear. I'd still use my amp's power section but maybe check out some new other type of preamp. the other GC has a bunch of rack stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by wixomwhat
                      also I was thinking about rack gear. I'd still use my amp's power section but maybe check out some new other type of preamp. the other GC has a bunch of rack stuff.
                      The GC around the corner from my office SUXX!
                      It's a shame, too, because this is a very wealthy neighbourhood.
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

theres like 5 in here in michigan. 2 are very close. they are both totally different.

one has a decent new guitars section and some cool amps and rack stuff. But their used gear and new gear- pedal, pickup etc selection sucks.

the other has a great used section, cool gear section but no rack stuff and an okay amp section. this one also has some cool people working there so its the one I go to most often.

Comment

Working...
                        X