Crate VFX5212

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate VFX5212

My friend recently got one of these and I was helping him tweak the gain channel. This thing has some incredible tones and the built in effects are pretty good. When we were done I decided to see how the clean channel (EL34s) would sound cranked to the max.....Well, let me just say, that I'm still sportin' wood This has got to be one of the best sounding tube amps out there, especially if you like the classic rock tones of a fully dimed marshall ( I'm not saying it sounds just like a Marshall, just that it's in the ballpark), etc...

Crate has really done a great job with this one. I have the older VC5212 (El84s), and have loved it to death, but the new one has something special going for it.
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Re: Crate VFX5212

dude i heard the Crate SS GTX212 and it sounds awesome.

i havent heard one of these though but i am sure it would sound good from the tone that the SS got.

i almost picked the SS one instead of getting a good tube amp, but i said what the heck and am getting a VHT Deliverance.

crate has really done their homework i think and wants to take over market share.
    Ibanez Roadstar II
    EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
    VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

Originally posted by tone?
      dude i heard the Crate SS GTX212 and it sounds awesome.

i havent heard one of these though but i am sure it would sound good from the tone that the SS got.

i almost picked the SS one instead of getting a good tube amp, but i said what the heck and am getting a VHT Deliverance.

crate has really done their homework i think and wants to take over market share.
      Although I'm a "dyed in the wool" tube amp guy, Crate and Peavey have done some pretty cool stuff with solid state tube emulation recently.

Good luck with the VHT

Comment

I've got a VFX5112. Haven't given it up for years simply because it sounds much better than a lot of more expensive tube amps I've come across. It still gets more use than my carvin legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
          I've got a VFX5112. Haven't given it up for years simply because it sounds much better than a lot of more expensive tube amps I've come across. It still gets more use than my carvin legacy.

How would you compare the sound to the Legacy?

Comment

I've got one now that I'm trying to sell. I like it quite a bit, but I just got an Engl and it suits my needs a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrec
              How would you compare the sound to the Legacy?
              I can't. They are about as different as two EL34 amps can get. The crate has that vintage type marshall bright distortion, but a bit rounder, sweeter, and a bit more middy. It crunches really nice. The clean channel is super sparkly but can be tuned to be fat and warm too.

The Legacy is just fat and high gain. Mucho mids. It has more a fluid type distortion than a crunchy one. Not for metalheads.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
                I can't. They are about as different as two EL34 amps can get. The crate has that vintage type marshall bright distortion, but a bit rounder, sweeter, and a bit more middy. It crunches really nice. The clean channel is super sparkly but can be tuned to be fat and warm too.

The Legacy is just fat and high gain. Mucho mids. It has more a fluid type distortion than a crunchy one. Not for metalheads.
                Thanks,

The Legacy has always interested me.

Comment

Did you try the FX ? I've been usin' Crate for 5 years and their history has been goin' for 25, so I think they've got their finger on the pulse of what players want. Take it to the people !

Comment

I played one of those last week. Got to play an EJ Strat and Skynyrd Epi LP through it. Excellent amp. Although I was paying more attention to the guitars I was playing, the tones coming out of the amp definitely grabbed my ear.

I like the V Series amps a lot. Much better than what they used to put out.

Comment

Awesome amp. I wanted one of those but I didn't havbe the cash and didn't need the wattage so I got the V1512 EL84 amp. That ones great although i'm considering getting a better speaker, the stock Celestion Seventy 80 is a little too bright and not smooth enough for my tastes.
                      Originally posted by ratherdashing
                      If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

My friend recently got one of these and I was helping him tweak the gain channel. This thing has some incredible tones and the built in effects are pretty good. When we were done I decided to see how the clean channel (EL34s) would sound cranked to the max.....Well, let me just say, that I'm still sportin' wood This has got to be one of the best sounding tube amps out there, especially if you like the classic rock tones of a fully dimed marshall ( I'm not saying it sounds just like a Marshall, just that it's in the ballpark), etc...

Crate has really done a great job with this one. I have the older VC5212 (El84s), and have loved it to death, but the new one has something special going for it.

Jeff, Is that the Amp that Billy Gibbons is using now? On the Crossroads DVD Those amps were all over it and everybody sound great thru them! Haven't been able to find one to play thru!
                        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
                          Jeff, Is that the Amp that Billy Gibbons is using now? On the Crossroads DVD Those amps were all over it and everybody sound great thru them! Haven't been able to find one to play thru!

Dave,

Yes, those were the same amps, although I think Billy had Crate mod them to some degree & had red tolex on them. They typically come in a black/charcoal color. You can find them at that store in Plainview "Music something" I'll try to look it up and get the name for you. CG says they carry it, but never have one in stock.

Jeff

Comment

Dave,

Here it is:

ALL MUSIC INC
                            397 S Oyster Bay Rd
                            Plainview, NY 11803-3322
                            Phone: 516-433-6969

Comment

Dave,

Here it is:

ALL MUSIC INC
                              397 S Oyster Bay Rd
                              Plainview, NY 11803-3322
                              Phone: 516-433-6969

Thanks Jeff..... I know the place well
                              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                              X