oldest overdrive/distortion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldest overdrive/distortion...

Ok guys...what is the oldest OD/Distortion pedal you know of...the Boss DS-1 is an old one, but im not sure how old however the Pro Co rat was before that in 1977 anybody have any more?
    Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 02-08-2006, 05:53 AM.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: oldest overdrive/distortion...

Does the Arbiter Fuzz Face or the Octavia count (since they're fuzz pedals...kinda distortion...)?
    The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
    And Here on Bandcamp!
    Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

The oldest one that I personally know of was the Maestro (spelling?) Fuzz Tone. If I remember right Keith Richards used one on "Satisfaction" in 1965. I remember how blown away we were with that tone because we'd never heard anything like that.

Comment

these are all fuzzes...the Maestro is one of (if not the) oldest fuzz but Im talking about OD and distortion pedals...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
          these are all fuzzes...the Maestro is one of (if not the) oldest fuzz but Im talking about OD and distortion pedals...
          Right you are. I thought you meant (generaly speaking) any box that would distort a guitar sound.

Comment

The Ibanez TS-808 and the DOD 250 were both around before Boss but I'm having a hard time finding an exact date. The Big Muff came before either but it rides the line between fuzz and distortion.
            Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Originally posted by saladin
              The Ibanez TS-808 and the DOD 250 were both around before Boss but I'm having a hard time finding an exact date. The Big Muff came before either but it rides the line between fuzz and distortion.
              I would say that the Big Muff is a fuzz...as for the DOD 250 and the TS-808 those are the only other 2 old pedals that came to mind...but I don't know when they came out either...

Comment

How about the distortion/fuzz George Harrison was using?

Comment

MXR distortion + ?
                  Originally posted by tone4days
                  we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

I was under the impression that it was the TS, of course who's to say a small one wasn't around before then. BUT it was a big shift in pedals going from the American?/British? designed fuzz to the Japanese designed OD/Distortion.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Isn't the Danelectro Daddy-O one of the earliest od/dist pedals.
                      Last edited by Guitar Toad; 02-07-2006, 10:35 PM.
                      Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
                      -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
                        Isn't the Danelectro Daddy-O one of the earliest od/dist pedals.
                        Those are VERY recent in the scheme of things.

I had an old Heathkit (Radio Shack) distortion that kinda rocked.

That's one I wish I had back.
                        *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                        Originally posted by Slash2987
                        Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                        Originally posted by PVFan
                        I'm a good sex man.
                        Originally posted by Grumpy
                        I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

what about tube preamps when did they come out
                          Gondola Kid
                          Bandcamp
                          Facebook
                          JimijaymesGuitarist
                          Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by James Rock
                            what about tube preamps when did they come out
                            The first rack pre's I'd ever noticed were the Mesa Studio and Marshall 9000...the 1 spc. brown one. Then the ADA MP-1.

The first OD's I've seen were the MXR Dist +, Boss OD-1, and DOD OD/Preamp.

All that stuff was the 80's though.
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Schaller made a +15 dB preamp with a 6 band quasi-Varitone circuit back in the early-mid 60's that was used a lot as a boost pedal...I had one and it worked really well with BF Fenders. EH's LPB1 also comes to mind...early 70's?

Comment

Working...
                              X