Boss Me-50 Guitar Multi Effects???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss Me-50 Guitar Multi Effects???

Anyone Familiar With This? I Have A Set Up With Indiviual Pedals At My Rehearsal Place, I Was Thinking Of This Multi Effects For Home Or Vice-versa.any And All Feedback Welcome..................
    john

Re: Boss Me-50 Guitar Multi Effects???

I owned one for a few months and liked it quite a bit. I never used it live though, but to my ears the effects I used the most (chorus, delays, RAT, OD1, Fuzz, and harmonizer) were all really good. I did not like the wah though. I also did not like that I could only turn on and off the compressor and reverbs with my hand. I didn't use the bank, but I have heard others say there is a delay making it difficult for live use. Shortly after purchasing the ME-50 I bought a Mesa F-50 amp which I now use for all of my overdrive needs and a Classic Crybaby wah. I then purchased a chorus and delay. The other stuff was fun but I don't use it often enough and found for me that I'd rather lug around 4 or 5 pedals I really like and use than one multi-effects unit with a lot of stuff I don't use. A lot of people complain about the quality of the effects but I actually thought they were pretty good for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by paultelestrat
      Anyone Familiar With This? I Have A Set Up With Indiviual Pedals At My Rehearsal Place, I Was Thinking Of This Multi Effects For Home Or Vice-versa.any And All Feedback Welcome..................
      i see them come up for sale for dirt cheap once in a while but have yet to try one... i did try them out when they were new but really can't remember much about them. If you find a Roland rack space GP8 these are cool.... i found one at a Garage sale for $20 and it is great. It is Anolog effects but with some sort of digital controller... cool part is each effect is a Boss unit... Distortion sounds just like a DS1, and so on... Neat unit.. I should give an ME50 a try oneday.

I like trying older MultiFX's out as a lot of them were designed to be played in front of a guitar amp..... unlike todays modeler fx units that are meant to replace guitar amps....

Comment

Spend a bit more and get into a GT-8. Better effets quality, and more importantly, more control over parameters and effects routing are what set the two boxes apart.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Spend a bit more and get into a GT-8. Better effets quality, and more importantly, more control over parameters and effects routing are what set the two boxes apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
            are GT 8's from about 8 years ago? I remember them being blue in colour and the ydid sound good to me at the time..... What is the current Boss multifx unit called?

Comment

the current 1 is called the GT-8
              Marshall JVM 410C
              Mesa Boogie DC-3
              ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
              1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
              2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
              2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
              1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
              2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
              1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

You're thinking of the GT-5. It then went to the -3, which was a simplified -5. After that came the -6 and currently the -8, which has dual proccessors, allowing it to do some crazy things.

Comment

I owned an ME-50 for a while. It's fun and easy to use, some great sounds (but not the wah!!), and extremely convenient. The only major negative thing about it was how much it affected straight guitar tone. Plug your guitar into your amp, tweak it until you like the sound, and play a chord. Then plug your guitar into the ME-50, with no effects, and strum the same chord.

Hmmm... need to tweak the amp again! Something will be missing.

The question is whether Purity Of Tone outweighs all the positive things about the ME-50. If you can save or swing the extra cash, the GT-3, GT-6 and GT-8 are great boxes, and some woudl say they have much better tone. But they're more complex, not as easy to tweak on the fly, and cost more.

Decisions, decisions!

On a side note, I found that the ME-50 was a great way to experiment with a lot of different effects, to see what I really liked best. It's got, what, like 22 different distortion/OD stomp box effects in it? You can check out Tubescreamer-style, Rat, fuzz boxes, tube OD type tones, extreme high gain, everything... And it was easy to re-sell it when the time came.
                  Asteroids do not concern me.

Comment

If it's just for home-jammin, then perhaps save a packet and get the (much) older ME-5. It's a 90's MultiFX. ebay or somesuch. It has Compression, OD/Distortiong, NoiseGate, EQ, Reverb/Delay. Very nice sounds once you customise. Simple to use. Check reviews in Boss on Harmony-Central
                    Yeah!

Comment

I use an ME-50 and it's been great for both home and live. As mentioned previously it really is a great way to "test the waters" in terms of different tones and effects before committing real $$$. I use it in front of a Fender Stage amp on the clean channel. The DS-1, GUV, BD-2, RAT and NATURAL overdrives are my favorites. The UNI-V & HARMONIST are a lot of fun and the "ANALOG" delay is great too. I haven't had much luck with the WAH either although I've heard some folks on this board record with it and it sounded great.

Comment

Originally posted by wildstar
                        But they're more complex, not as easy to tweak on the fly, and cost more.

Decisions, decisions!

On a side note, I found that the ME-50 was a great way to experiment with a lot of different effects, to see what I really liked best. It's got, what, like 22 different distortion/OD stomp box effects in it? You can check out Tubescreamer-style, Rat, fuzz boxes, tube OD type tones, extreme high gain, everything... And it was easy to re-sell it when the time came.

Actually, I find the GT-8 easier to use live than my friend's ME-50. In manual mode, yo have more parameter knobs and footswitch control on the GT-8 than on the ME-50.

Oh, and the wahs on the GT-8 are worlds better than those found on the -50.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                          Actually, I find the GT-8 easier to use live than my friend's ME-50. In manual mode, yo have more parameter knobs and footswitch control on the GT-8 than on the ME-50.

Oh, and the wahs on the GT-8 are worlds better than those found on the -50.
                          Ahhh... I forgot about manual mode. Manual mode is your friend, especially in a live situation.
                          Asteroids do not concern me.

Comment

Working...
                          X