effects loop; why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• effects loop; why?

i guess i need to experiment to understand better.but in simple terms you plug the guitar into the amp then send goes to the input of the pedals and pedals out to amp return.is that right ?if so , why do i want to do this?is this a technique for recording or something.all i'm doing is jamming with my friends in one of their basements.what am i bypassing,the preamp??
    john

Re: effects loop; why?

effects loop is for modulation effects like delay effects etc. which sound better behind the pre amp distortion...
    overdrive and distortion better put in front of the amp so it's driving the tube preamp ...
    nothing is bypassed ..
    important fact is serial vs parallel effects loop...

some amps just like rack gear in the loop...
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

your Not "bypassing the preamp" your guitar signal still goes through the preamp. Just not the effects.
      Some people like to put timebased effects in the fx look, because they sound better after distortion. And if your useing preamp distortion, you'll be able to hear them through distortion alot clearer in the loop, than if you ran the same effects before the amp.
      Some people Like fx loops, some dont. Some effects sound great through the loop, others don't. Its all just a matter of preferance really.
      I say just try running effects both ways, and see which you like better. Try running chrous before the amp, and then try it in the loop. Theres a big sound difference. Weather its good or bad is really up to you. But there is a Major difference.
      www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
      I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

but distortion/overdrive pedals always stay in front of the amp??? anything else?? besides more cables,lol.
        john

Comment

Let me make a small example:
          Take a simple delay effect. You hit a note. It is repeated with less volume.

If you now have it before the preamp (in front of the amp) the lowered volume of the delayed signal will just cause less distortion... so it gets repeated cleaner.

If it is behind the preamp (in the fx loop) the signal will be first distorted and then repeat. So the delayed signal has the same amount of distortion and less volume. The orginal processed (distorted) signal is repeat with less volume. That's what most people want...
          Last edited by Marcel; 02-13-2006, 05:09 PM.
          RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
          TS 7 (modded)
          Hot Rod 50+ XL
          Framus Dragon 4x12
          V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Compression and Wah like being in front, delays, verbs, modulations: inside
            Yeah!

Comment

once again, reiterate that all this only matters really if you're getting your distortion from your amp! If you are using pedals to get your distortion and you just have your amp set to clean, then none of this really applies (though you should try it anyway)
              Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
              It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

it goes like this

guitar -> user effects -> preamp -> effects loop send -> user effects in the loop chain -> effects loop return -> poweramp

correct me if i am wrong

Comment

Stupid efeects loops
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Bludave- Lmao
                    john

Comment

Working...
                    X