Amp voltages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp voltages

hi, say i bought an amp from the states and wanted to use it here in australia would i need any voltage changers or have to have the amp modified. because i am thinking of buying a mesa and the prices here are rediculos so i am looking abroad.

any help appriciated

Re: Amp voltages

The voltage in the USA is 110/120 volts.

I'm guessing that the voltage in Australia is the same as in Europe (220/240), which would mean you'd need a transformer.

You could get the amp modified, but it would probably be very expensive. If you don't want to carry a heavy transformer around, then it may be worth it.
    There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

Some amps have external switches to select the operating voltages. Others might have multiple taps on the power transformer, which would allow changes to be made internally, by re-wiring.

You really need the details on the specific amp you're looking at - a schematic would be the best, manufacturer's specs or a clear picture of the AC power input connector would be second best.

You can convert voltage with an external box. Those little travel adapters are not going to do it for you - you need something bigger. A transformer would do the job, but an autotransformer would be smaller and lighter. (I won't get into the differences here.) Just be careful if you go this route - if some unknowling "helper" ever plugs in your amp for you, but doesn't know it needs the transformer, the amp is toast.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

thanks for the replies guys. As to which amp im looking at it would probably be one of the mesa rectifier series (single most likely). Does anyone know if this amp has a voltage tap? or something similair?

thanks

Edit: and yes Darkshadow it is 240V's here in Aus and 50hz if that helps

Comment

take it to a tech. better yet, call around and get a price quote on conversion.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Could the European version be used here without a voltage step up transformer but just change the power cord? or use a wall outlet adapter?

thanks

Comment

Provided it's from a European country that uses 240v (eg. England), yeh sure. If the amp's PT doesn't have multiple voltage taps, I'd feel cheated considering how much those amps cost. Even if it doesn't have a 240v tap, I think modding it is unnecessary as the voltage transfomers Rich S described work really well.
              Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
              Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Strapocaster
                hi, say i bought an amp from the states and wanted to use it here in australia would i need any voltage changers or have to have the amp modified. because i am thinking of buying a mesa and the prices here are rediculos so i am looking abroad.

any help appriciated
                If your mains voltage is not in the 110-120V range, you´ll need either an AC transformer or a new power transformer for the amp.

Originally posted by Strapocaster
                Could the European version be used here without a voltage step up transformer but just change the power cord?...

thanks
                Yes
                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

A buddy of mine who owned a studio was telling me that when he goes over to the UK that the same amps sound better when they used the 220 voltage-(or whatever the voltage is over there) Said if you took the same Marshall or Hiwatt you used here in North American and took it to the UK it sounds a little better.. Something to do with the different Freq's the Voltage has.....

I wonder if the same would be true Down Under!?!?!?

WhoFan

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan
                    A buddy of mine who owned a studio was telling me that when he goes over to the UK that the same amps sound better when they used the 220 voltage-(or whatever the voltage is over there) Said if you took the same Marshall or Hiwatt you used here in North American and took it to the UK it sounds a little better.. Something to do with the different Freq's the Voltage has.....

I wonder if the same would be true Down Under!?!?!?

WhoFan
                    I´ve heard that too, but I´m not too sure what to think of it...

If the Freq is the only factor it may very well.... But remember also that Marshalls and Hiwatts are built where 220V are the norm, wheras Mesas are constructed in California, where 117 or so is standard... If it´s something other than the frequency, it could possibly even sound worse
                    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                      I´ve heard that too, but I´m not too sure what to think of it...

If the Freq is the only factor it may very well.... But remember also that Marshalls and Hiwatts are built where 220V are the norm, wheras Mesas are constructed in California, where 117 or so is standard... If it´s something other than the frequency, it could possibly even sound worse
                      Ya, True....

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies. i guess i will have to look around for abit until an amp jumps out at me that is suitable for my voltage.

Comment

I've been looking at doing the same thing dude, but after import tax the difference isnt so great in price drop i decided. Good luck in finding one tho! I'm settling for a 2nd UK one if i can get one at a good price, also meaning i wouldnt have to fart around with step downs.
                          PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
                          DAW: Nuendo
                          Noise: 5150
                          Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Comment

Working...
                          X