Wbat Is the Best Leslie Pedal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wbat Is the Best Leslie Pedal???

Short of getting the real thing; what pedal is the best at replicating the Leslie tones. I know of the H&K, but have never seen nor heard one and the Boss RT-20 is now out too.

What others are out there? Would I be better off with a standard delay pedal to get close to the Leslie tones?

gt5litre

Re: Wbat Is the Best Leslie Pedal???

I asked this not long ago, but I can't find the thread....the concensus was the Rotosphere was the best.

I haven't heard much yet about the Boss & I hear the DLS is good once you get it tweaked right, which happens to be a pain in the A$$ because 3 of the trim pots have to be adjusted from the inside.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I don't think a De;ay will get you near that sound. I use a Chorus which is similar but not really in the ball park either. I have heard good things about the Boss also.
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

The H&K Rotosphere is damn hard to beat IMO. Most Chorus pedals don't have the same tone at all...some of them can get close but only close...save up and go with the Rotosphere...you'll thank me!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

DUnno about the US, but over here itīs generally cheaper to find something like an Echolette or other real (and working) Leslie than it is to get a Rotosphere or other sim....
          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

The Rotosphere is supposed to sound great, but is big and heavy and expensive. I checked out the Boss RT-20 at NAMM, and it sounded great at the demo (Strat through headphones). It's actually got more control than a real Leslie, like fast and slow speeds and ramp time.

Comment

Been having good luck with the Vox Tonelab SE, sounds good in stereo.

I had an Option 5 for a while, I liked that too, got rid of it to get the Tonelab. It had a Hi & Low (freq) outs & a bit of overdrive/grind that was convincing. My keyboard player liked it.

BBB
              Dirt

Oh, so that's what an invisible barrier looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by gt5litre
                Short of getting the real thing; what pedal is the best at replicating the Leslie tones. I know of the H&K, but have never seen nor heard one and the Boss RT-20 is now out too.

What others are out there? Would I be better off with a standard delay pedal to get close to the Leslie tones?

gt5litre
                You'll never ever hear me recommend a DanElectro pedal... until now.

For the price, try a Danelectro Rocky Road spinning speaker pedal. You can get it for like 40 bucks or less on ebay, and with one simple mod (short a resistor), its a great sounding pedal. I dont have experience with it, but many people claim that it's amazing, some modders as well cant believe a danelectro sounds so good for the price.

here's a link to the step-by-step mods, as well as before/after sound clips: http://home.comcast.net/%7Eadamsjohn/rocky_road.htm
                7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Here's a bit more info taken from another modders webpage:

"Anyway, enough ranting. I finally got my grubby hands on one, when a friend went to the US on holiday and was kind enough to bring one home for me. Musician's Friend had them on sale, so it ended up costing a mere $20... Now, that's a bargain, if I ever saw one! So what's it like? Well, I'm utterly amazed at how well this little thing does the single-rotor Leslie 16 / Fender Vibratone sound. As opposed to other - more expensive - simulators, this one doesn't allow for the "horn" and "woofer" to spin at different speeds. Instead, when the Rocky Road spins up to speed, the whole frequency range accelerates uniformly - just like a Vibratone does. This is probably more due to design limitations than any specific goal set by the design team, but it still places the Rocky Road in a class of its own. The other simulators I've tried - H&K Rotosphere, Korg G4, Voce Spin etc - are all very good at sounding like a woofer/horn type leslie (122/147), but this is the only one that even gets close to sounding like a Leslie 16 / Fender Vibratone.

Now, to the bad points. First off, the pedal has a nasty volume boost, even with the "drive" knob at zero. Including a small amount of overdrive can help you get closer to the real sound, but this is way too much. Especially since there's no provision for setting the output volume compared to the bypass level. Unless you plan on keeping the pedal active at all times, the pedal needs to be modified. Luckily, there is a relatively easy mod here, which you can do yourself if you feel confident enough. If not, you can take it to someone to have it done - it shouldn't be too expensive. It is definitely worth it - after the modification, the output level is at unity gain when the "drive" knob is at zero. If you need a little more push to your leslie, just give it a little drive. Why Danelectro chose to ship the pedals the way they are - and continue to ship them this way - is beyond me.

Another drawback is the miniature plastic casing - it is so small, that hitting the switches with any sort of accuracy requires one to take off their shoes, using the big toe to prod the switch. I'm not joking - that's the only way I've been able to work it... And even with the shoes off, the switches need a good prodding to actuate, which means that you can't be 100% sure the thing is actually going to change speed (since there's no LED to indicate speed status). I'm already looking at ways to rehouse the circuit into a bigger, sturdier box.

But all in all - if you are looking for a decent single-rotor leslie sim, it does a fine job indeed. Thumbs up for Danelectro! Now, can we have it in a bigger box, please?"
                  7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Working...
                  X