banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tubes for the PI on a Marshall amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What tubes for the PI on a Marshall amp?

Originally posted by Kommerzbassist
    Ok, so what specific brabd/type of 12ax7 would you recommend for that position if I want mucho Marshall crunch?
    You don't want your PI tube to be the one to get you the crunch....V1 is the tube you need to hone in on and the PI needs a strong,reliable tube,but it doesn't have to be high gain.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I disagree a bit - I've noticed crunch varies quite a bit when swapping out 12AX7's in V3. The effect is less noticeable in V3 than V1 than you'd expect, but I'd still take tonal properties of a phase inverter tube over strength.

The more upper mid emphasis the tube has, the more crunch you'll get. For crunch, a Mullard or Valvo will probably be the crunchiest, if you like to retain crunch but with a bit more "ballsy" tone an RFT would be great for that.
      Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
      Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by shredaholic
        I disagree a bit - I've noticed crunch varies quite a bit when swapping out 12AX7's in V3. The effect is less noticeable in V3 than V1 than you'd expect, but I'd still take tonal properties of a phase inverter tube over strength.

The more upper mid emphasis the tube has, the more crunch you'll get. For crunch, a Mullard or Valvo will probably be the crunchiest, if you like to retain crunch but with a bit more "ballsy" tone an RFT would be great for that.
        Remember though that the PI tube is more about function then tone though A strong,balanced from side to side PI tube is really what this position benefits from.
        ..Most of the overall tonality we hear comes from the preamp and not the PI by itself...V1 is the main tube to tweak.
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Ok thanks people. I think I've heard enough

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

A balanced JJ is real nice in the PI position.
            GUITARS
            STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
            AMPS
            Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

Originally posted by Kommerzbassist
              Ok thanks people. I think I've heard enough

Comment

Trying to get a balanced phase inverter tube on a Marshall is pointless - Marshalls use a 82k/100k plate resistor combination in the phase inverter, which does not perfectly balance a tube. To perfectly balance the tube, to obtain symmetrical driving of the power tubes, the plate resistors would have to be either 82K/94.1K or 87.1K/100K.

A perfectly balanced PI would sound clean and sterile, you want some degree of imbalance to generate second order harmonics which sounds great. And even if you did want a clean and sterile sounding PI, balanced tubes would drift out of balance with use anyway.
                Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
                Marshall Mods

Comment

A perfectly balanced PI would sound clean and sterile, you want some degree of imbalance to generate second order harmonics which sounds great. And even if you did want a clean and sterile sounding PI, balanced tubes would drift out of balance with use anyway.
                  I have found this to be true- I've tried just about every 12A_7 tube I could get my hands on, AT,AU,AY GT12ax7M MPI, Ecc83-and the one I keep going back to it a GT12ax7R2- a long plate -btw DrZ uses these in alot of his amps. It seems to give a better sounding bottom end. At least in my Marshall.
                  " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Trying to get a balanced phase inverter tube on a Marshall is pointless - Marshalls use a 82k/100k plate resistor combination in the phase inverter, which does not perfectly balance a tube. To perfectly balance the tube, to obtain symmetrical driving of the power tubes, the plate resistors would have to be either 82K/94.1K or 87.1K/100K.

Guess what I was trying to say was that you want a good,strong,balanced inverter tube....I know all about the 82k and 100k inverter plate resistors at pins 1 and 6 also....

Not to sound like a smart a$$,but I've been modding old Marshalls and Fender amps for alot of years! LOL I know what I'm talking about....Maybe can't explain it,but I do walk the walk! ;o)

Just finished converting my 73 PCB 50 watter over to PTP......

Before Photo....

NOW!

Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 02-22-2006, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X