Marshall JCM Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM Series

Hey all. I am an absolute beginner when it comes to amps and pedals and stuff, maybe you guys could help out.

I am looking to upgrade on my MG50 (dire) with a JCM/DSL amp. I was looking at a second hand JCM 900 in a local guitar shop, and was advised that it would be a killer amp. Now, my question is, are new models like the JCM 2000 worth saving for? What are the differences between the JCM 800s, 900s and 2000s?
    Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Re: Marshall JCM Series

Search function is your friend. There have been some big threads about this in the past.

Honestly I don't know why more things don't get vaulted around here.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Sorry, forgive me.

I never usually come round this board, which is why I know naff all about amps.

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

I had a JCM800 1x12 combo for a while - and it was awesome tone! Then had a Yamaha T50 after that, more of a Soldano/Boogie sound, more 6L6 sounding - but it wasnt the Marshall sound... Then I got a DSL 50 - and that is all Marshall! Clean can got close to JTM45 up to Plexi when gain is cranked - then gain channel can do JCM800 on up to "modern" Marshall sounds, all from the front panel! I think the channel switching is the best part of the DSL - a clean that is very nice and a raging Marshall gain channel to boot.

That said, I actually have my DSL50 head for sale in the Trading Post if you are interested; have a look and see how it compares to the JCM900 you saw...

Dano
        EVH: "I'm a tone chaser... I love chasin' tone!"

Comment

The DSL is more versatile than the 900. I have a 900 combo and I like it quite a lot, but I A/B it with a Fender because the cleans just aren't there. I prefer the Fender cleans than the 900 clean.
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I recommend the jcm 2000 for its versitility.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbiedbee
              Sorry, forgive me.

I never usually come round this board, which is why I know naff all about amps.
              Sorry..I didn't mean for you to think I was being nasty about it...just meant there have been some great threads about this in the past and if ya search you'll find a ton of good info...since the topic has kinda been done alot, I suspect ya may not get much feedback here in your thread.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-ola
                I had a JCM800 1x12 combo for a while - and it was awesome tone! Then had a Yamaha T50 after that, more of a Soldano/Boogie sound, more 6L6 sounding - but it wasnt the Marshall sound... Then I got a DSL 50 - and that is all Marshall! Clean can got close to JTM45 up to Plexi when gain is cranked - then gain channel can do JCM800 on up to "modern" Marshall sounds, all from the front panel! I think the channel switching is the best part of the DSL - a clean that is very nice and a raging Marshall gain channel to boot.

That said, I actually have my DSL50 head for sale in the Trading Post if you are interested; have a look and see how it compares to the JCM900 you saw...

Dano
                why are you selling your DSL50? How do the cleans compare to a Fender?

Comment

What kind of tones are you looking for first. This can help us with recommendations.
                  Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
                  Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
                  Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
                  Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
                  Fender Frontman 15g
                  Cry Baby
                  Boss DS-2
                  Boss CE-3
                  Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by greendy123
                    What kind of tones are you looking for first. This can help us with recommendations.
                    Just some decent rock/metal tones really. The distortion on my MG50 sounds absolutely horrible, mushy and crap. I hope to get closer to sounds of bands like Maiden, Sabbath, and maybe Metallica.

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

My Jcm900 Hi-gain single channel version works really well for that. It's more like a Jcm800, but modded for more gain so it can also do modern stuff to. It depends if you like cleans or not too, cause the way I get cleans is rolling my guitar volume down or putting the pre-amp and gain settings low. Check Erick's, forum member, website it has a bunch of info and clips about Jcm900's.
                      Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
                      Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
                      Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
                      Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
                      Fender Frontman 15g
                      Cry Baby
                      Boss DS-2
                      Boss CE-3
                      Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by msawitzke
                        why are you selling your DSL50? How do the cleans compare to a Fender?
                        To be honest, it is the best sounding amp I have ever had - but it is way too damn loud for where I play these days. Had it up to 5 one day when I had gotten Gary Moore's amp settings from his tech - a guy from 5 blocks away came by saying I was keeping his baby awake Tried a HotPlate but when I ran it down to room volume it was not enough to drive my 4x12 and sounded fizzy,not "hot-rod tube" sound... The clean sounds really nice with the gain at 5 - it is not that slippery, chimey high-end that you have on a Fender, little more upper-mid and bass but exceptional for a Marshall clean.

So, I am looking to get maybe a Vox AD head or a small combo - have a 5w Crate at the moment and it is pretty nice at 5, using pedals for gain...

Probably will sell it then spend the rest of my life regretting it, having my son ***** me out when he has a band and could use a killer Marshall stack to get more chicks

Dano
                        EVH: "I'm a tone chaser... I love chasin' tone!"

Comment

i have a dsl 100 modded by voodoo amps and it sounds amazing. i get a real crunchy metal distortion not buzzy like a stock dsl. The cleans have been sweatened up as well. real glassy and you can get to ear bleading levels before it breaks up if that is what you want. or you can break it up alot sooner. Great amp, However i'm dreaming about an uberschall again.
                          boreddddddddddd

Comment

Linky to my Marshall JCM900 MkIII page

Comment

The TSLs are... contrary to popular belief... VERY versatile AND sound good. You just have to play around with all the knobs a bit though to find your settings... and a preamp stage tube change can do a lot too...

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Working...
                              X